chapter 4: potential panic

Soobin's POV:

We're on a call, receiving it at the last-minute before we were going to start packing up for the day. There was an active shooter reported in an office building. Something about an ex-husband trying to get revenge on his ex-wife's new boyfriend. But by the time he was about to escape with the boyfriend, the police had the building surrounded and called us. So, they were stuck outside the building in the courtyard with nowhere to go. The ex-husband had the boyfriend in a head lock, and I was still trying to set up my sniper rifle.

I rushed to the building across the street, getting access to the roof from one of their employees since this was an emergency situation. I had the perfect view of the scene, still setting everything up as Chan tried to calm him down, "Sir, we're just here to help—"

"I don't want your help!" I heard him scream from all the way up here.

I laid down on my stomach, my rifle in front of me. I put the buttstock to my shoulder and put in the magazine, flipping the safety switch. I quickly looked down the scope and got him in my sights, knowing how badly Chan needed me, "Subject on target. I have the shot." I said, and then started my special breathing to calm myself down.

"On my command, Soobin..." He replied quietly to make sure the guy didn't hear. I could see through my scope that the guy didn't know what to do, and I think the whole situation was a bit overwhelming for him. There were at least a dozen cop cars with their lights flashing, along with an ambulance and the two cars we drove over here. Chan kept going, "I don't want anyone getting hurt, alright? I just want to understand the situation a little better. Is that alright?"

Chan has been trying to start this conversation for the last two minutes with no luck. He said his name was Roger, but then he wouldn't answer anything else after that. I mean, they've been going back and forth for long enough for me to get up fifteen floors and get set up. Roger spoke quieter this time, not being able to read his lips through my scope, but Chan replied, "I have a wife too. I understand what you're going through."

I focused on my breathing, needing to get my heart rate down to at least fifty beats per minute to be accurate. I think it was almost there, taking slow and long breaths to stay calm. He kept moving around, and I needed to constantly move with him. He almost had the boyfriend too close, but there was just enough space to get a good shot off. I need to have laser focus right now because if Chan gives the command, I need to be there for him.

"Can I ask how you feel about all this? I know it must be a lot to take in." Chan said, and I don't think Roger liked that very much.

His expression changed in a second, and he looked angry. That's when I knew something went wrong, "They're only here to make sure everyone is safe, ok? Focus on me—"

He cut Chan off by saying something, hearing it muffled a little since he must've raised his voice. Chan knew he was losing him, "Roger, that's not at all what we're doing. I just want to be civil and talk."

Roger said something, and then suddenly pushed the boyfriend to the side. He lifted up his gun, pointing it directly in front of him instead. I knew what was coming next, and I don't know what happened to make this escalate so quickly. I knew who he was pointing his gun at, and I felt like everything was in slow motion. Maybe it's just because my heart rate was so slow, but it was like someone was stretching time. It was like a movie in my scope, watching as Roger put his finger on the trigger and pointed his pistol at Chan. I couldn't do anything until I got the command; the one word that makes my life flash before my eyes. I guess the same thing happens to Chan as well, since he's the one being threatened. I swear, I don't know how he's able to put himself in front of armed people on their worst days without a weapon. The amount of faith and trust he has in us is ridiculous, and it's times like these where that faith and trust is put to the test.