06 - Keeping secrets

Gardeners wipe the sweat off their brows as the sun sets high in the sky with fluffy clouds hovering beside them

A beautiful sunset strikes its shadow in the atmosphere within the library, highlighting over medals and stacks of books inside the towering shelves.

Catherine Penelope
Claire Genevieve
Daniel Prescott
Ashton Foster
Vivian Hawthorne ♥︎

A rough sketch of the layout of the manor with secret pathways and exits only known to those who know the way around here.

Just a  few knocks by the door and my hand hovers over a small compartment, slipping the journal away from anyone else.

"Why did you disappear from dinner last night?" I asked, sitting in a cushion chair running fingers hovering over two letters engrave on the wooden desk V & M.

Vivian plops herself into a deep red cushion chair, and tries to pull a neutral or blank facial expression, but fails.

"I can't believe you still make that face, Vivian," I said. Playing with a silver ring on my third finger with the name Carter written in cursive.

The end of her lips quirk up in a small smile, then stops. Pulling in her chair closer to the desk facing me.

"Mrs. Wellington told me that she chose me amongst the rest of the girls to hopefully be the winner" Vivian paused. "But, I wanna hear about what you did at Daniel's family ski resort."

I roll my eyes and rub the bridge of my nose. "Well, Vivian since your curiosity gets the better of you I'll tell you about it," I said, considering her interest maybe indulge her never-ending curious nature.

"Really?" Vivian said, sitting up straight and eyes fill with amusement.

I bring myself closer to the cherrywood desk glistening against the soft shadows of the sun, facing Vivian but not too close.

"No," I said. Getting off the comfy chair and start roaming around the library fingers lightly brushing over books, yearbooks, and eyes taking in the achievements with aching desire.

Vivian shakes her head in disappointment then gets up from her place of comfort and roams over to the open window, casting her eyes down below.

"So how do you have a plan on how we're gonna win the Pandora box challenge?" Vivian asked. Her eyes move from the window and swiftly watch mine silently.

"Well, if the rules are the same then we'll use the same strategy just like last time, but it's better to be ahead of everyone else" I respond. Watching my reflection in the glass case, ideas turning over in my mind to determine the best outcome.

Looking over my shoulder and Vivian gets closer to the rough sketch of the map of the Wellington manor , her delicate fingers tracing faint outlines.

"Actually, I have a suggestion but I don't think you'll like it" Vivian replied. Breathing a heavy sigh twisting her promise ring awkwardly and looking away from me.

"What is it?" I ask, stepping away from the towering bookshelves, shiny and glowing medals also trophies.

Vivian nervously fiddles with her hands and keeps her focus on the map then looks back at me.

"We could hide at our spot...only if you're fine with it," Vivian said.

The air in the room slows down at the mention of our spot and remind myself that this is just a partnership benefiting both of us. We need to win this challenge or else god knows what'll happen to the both of us.

A/N Hi! I'm sorry that I missed last Monday's update things have been getting pretty busy lately but I'm glad that I've finished writing this chapter!

I will be updating this story on Monday & Friday at 11:30 pm this information is located in the description as well.

What are your thoughts on this chapter?