22 - Bad habits, die hard

CHASE LINCOLN

The grass crumbles underneath my feet as we walk across the manor grounds and the moonlight follows our shadows on my way to Vivian's room.

"Now, don't play the role of Romeo Chase because I know how you are anyways," Ashton says, twirling a small lighter in his pants pocket.

I roll my eyes at his comment and jab him with my elbow. Running my hands over the stonewall ridges in between the faint lines in the mason work.

"Don't worry, I'm not gonna be her Romeo just going to talk to her as a friend that's all" I say, relaxing my shoulders and stopping right under a high balcony.

Ashton's eyes watch me with suspicion, shaking his head, and finds a small packet of cigarettes in his back pocket. While holding his rose gold lighter with the initials A. A. F.

"Wait...can you give me a lift up to her balcony?" I ask, dusting off the specs of dirt and grass on my shoes.

Peeking right behind Ashton seeing a few security guards outside the gate keeping them and any outside forces or people from coming inside.

"So, you're telling me you can't launch yourself up there and climb onto the balcony yourself" Ashton responds, sarcastically breathing out a heavy sigh walking underneath the balcony.

"No, I can't because if I did I would've done it already," I said.

Using Ashton's shoulders as a boast to get up and close enough to the balcony, earning a few grunts from Ashton as I stand up steadily on his shoulders.

"I swear, I didn't know you were so heavy by the way," Ashton says, gritting his teeth and planting his feet firmly on the hard gravel.

"Are you calling me fat right now?" I pause. "Because if so I'm truly offended by that."

Launching myself onto the balcony causes a bit of attention to come to me with a couple of security guards flashing their flashlights in my direction, while I duck my head under the railing.

"Are you serious, you're not being stealthy at all Chase and I'm disappointed" Ashton responds, playing with his rose gold lighter and watching as the orange hue flames dance in the night.

Looking over the balcony and face him sticking out my tongue. "Whatever, you crybaby I'll be back soon anyway."

Vivian motions for me to come into the room from the sliding door and enter quietly without causing a scene.

I watch as I see deep red scratch marks on her arms and walk closer towards her, but not too close that she's visibly uncomfortable with me.

"Who gave you those scratch marks?" I question, stepping closer to her and waiting for her consent to touch her.

"Oh, I got these from a little catfight with Catherine and honestly it's not a good thing for someone like me" Vivian responds, inspecting the scratches on her arms under a light and looking at me.

"Come here," I say leading her into the bathroom while looking for a first aid kit or anything to patch her up with.

Vivian hops onto the sink counter, feet dangling, and wearing long loose silk pajamas with her brunette hair down her shoulders.

"You sure you want to sit there, because your butt is gonna be numb after a while," I say, flipping on the light switch and blinking my eyes repeatedly.

Grabbing some bandages, ointment, and medical tape to make sure those scratches will heal properly.

"I'm fine with it, but when you're done with patching me up, I have to give you something before you leave," Vivian says, grabbing a hair tie between her teeth and up in a messy ponytail.

Furrowing my eyebrows and thinking deeply about what this could be an item, letter, or a cryptic message that I only can decode —- she has a reason for everything and I'm willing to figure it out.

"Why didn't you take the deal that Benjamin offered you?" Vivian asks, watching me place the ointment on her injuries.

Finishing up wrapping up both of her arms and placing medical tape at both ends, putting the medical supplies away under the sink.

"I have many reasons for not taking that deal, because I think Benjamin had something up his sleeve with that deal" I pause. "And you're part of the reason why I didn't take it."

She narrows her eyes at me almost in disbelief that she is the reason I didn't take the deal and go back to the version of me that she doesn't deserve to see.

"You don't believe me and I can tell, but what is the thing you want to give me?" I ask, sitting on the edge of her bed and looking over at the desk she's sitting at.

She grabs a sheet of paper and writes something down quickly then hands it to me.

5678 Marigold Street, New York

"Our safe house," I say, looking up at her and looking for any more information that she'll give me.

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞:

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞:

Hi! Thank you all for being so patient with me today for the later upload for Golden Spoon!

Please note that the next update for the story is on this Monday at 11:30 pm!

What's your favorite scene in this chapter?