20 - Mind games

Rising from the comfortable sheets and grabbing my phone from the nightstand, illuminating light blinds my eyes, and my thumbs hover over a contact name

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐆𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐘

"I can't believe, I have to call the guy," I curse under my breath and step out into the balcony.

"No, Claudia you can't steal my favorite hoodie again," Charles says, in the background while the sound of the door closes for some privacy.

"Charles, I want you to do me a favor," I say, leaning against the balcony door and watching the moonlight.

"Oh, look who's calling what do you want, Lincoln" Charles answers, in a harsh tone at the sound of my voice.

Silently rolling my eyes at his tone of voice and honestly, the feeling is mutual, but since this is kind of an emergency I need his help badly.

"Can you look into a guy called Jean-Claude Laurent for me, please?" I cringe at saying the word please with him it's uncomfortable to hear from my mouth.

The sound of the keyboard keys clacking and the intense sigh on the loudspeaker echo into the dead of night, then a few seconds of silence for a while.

"So, I'm guessing that you're getting revenge on this guy or something else" Charles answers, his voice a bit clearer than before and sounds of shuffling in the background in his bedroom.

"No, it's not revenge I just need to know things about his past that no one else knows about," I say, putting the phone closer to my ear.

"Hmmm, okay Jean I don't see anything wait oh well would you look at that it seems like Jean is much more than he's letting on" Charles replies, keys clacking against the keyboard again, and hangs up the phone.

The phone call disconnects and check my email to see five attachments and an audio file at the bottom of the email.

"Now, I can work with this," I say, sliding back into my bedroom sliding on a t-shirt heading downstairs to the common room.

The dim lighting at the night feels a bit more comforting than the daylight where everything is exposed, out in the open, bare. But at night, it's hidden in plain sight or not at all.

Making my way towards the common room, until I hear some noise coming from the kitchen and hurry over to see what's going on.

"Viv, what are you doing up so late?" I say, leaning against the doorframe and watching her freeze at the nickname.

Watching as she freezes for a split second at the nickname and manages to recover as if it never happened here.

"Well, I'm making a strawberry jam sandwich for myself since I'm in the mood for one" Vivian responds, twisting the rose gold promise ring while waiting for her toast.

That ring, a promise ring, a promise that I want to fulfill if she lets me or consents to it. But, I'll play the long game, to start over and gain her trust back.

"You know, you haven't called me that nickname since we were in Paris together," Vivian says, turning to face me watching me with a curious look on her face and tilting her head like a puppy would.

"I know, I won't call you that name if you don't want me to" I respond, taking a nearby seat at the kitchen counter.

Vivian's feet dangle from the countertop, because she's short and I don't mind that. But, we're just friends now and friends don't stare too long or even reminisce on what once was.

"And it's done," Vivian announces, setting down her plate with her perfect strawberry jam sandwich on the counter.

And I do the unspeakable thing reaching over and taking a bite out of her sandwich, watching her eyes go from pure happiness to I'm gonna kill you eyes.

"You know what, I hate you for doing that I hope you choke on eating that piece of my sandwich," Vivian says, narrowing her eyes and shaking her head in disappointment.

"Hate is a strong word, you and I both know that you don't hate me that much do you?" I said, letting my words hang in the air as much as they needed to.

                                       A/N
Hi! I'm letting you guys that I went off-script with this chapter and really enjoyed writing it a lot!

What are your thoughts on the interaction between Charles and Chase?