18: ROMANCE

Jungwon's attention was on the TV. Before leaving, Jay had played the first episode of the show he was watching, Hell's Kitchen. It was a cooking competition with Gordon Ramsay, and it wasn't hard to be amused by it, so Jungwon finds himself softly chuckling here and there, a blanket wrapped over him after Jay had placed it around him to "get warm" while he's out to buy things.

Amidst the episode playing, Jungwon finds himself looking around Jay's dorm. He's been here a couple of times since they've agreed to fake date, and yet, he didn't really take a good look at it. Oftentimes, they'd be in Sunoo and Jungwon's dorm instead, so now Jungwon's huddled up on the couch with a blanket draped over him and his eyes wandering around the room.

Pausing the show, Jungwon stands up and walks around, the blanket still over him.

Some pictures adorned the walls. One of which is taken with Jay and Sunghoon smiling widely at the camera, wearing their graduation togas and proudly showing their highschool diplomas.

Jungwon finds himself softly chuckling, a hand unknowingly reaching out as his fingers gently graze on Jay's face, his fingertips caressing the cool thin glass of the frame. Jay looked younger there, having full bangs that slightly went sideways under his graduation cap, skin more tanned than he is now with his eyes scintillating. Must've been the camera's flash.

The other pictures were some that didn't seem so long ago, random framed polaroids of their friends. Some of the pictures were from their highschool days, wearing the same uniforms. There was one picture in particular that was taken at an angle right near the stage. Jay was on it, playing a guitar, singing in front of a microphone.

A knock was on the door and Jungwon's head turned to face it. It opens and in comes Jay, holding a bunch of bags as he says, "I'm back."

"Hey," Jungwon lifts a hand and then looks back at the pictures. He hears Jay chuckle and close the door, removing his shoes.

"So, made yourself busy, huh?" Jay murmurs.

"Yeah. Looking at all these, you were a fetus," Jungwon snorts, hearing Jay softly laugh. He looks behind and sees that Jay has walked over to the kitchen counter, placing his newly bought items in there. Looking back at the wall, Jungwon points at the picture of him on stage. "Seems like you were quite popular. You probably had plenty of admirers."

Jay shrugs his shoulders. "Eh," he rummages through the paper bags, "come here, I got you some ice pops to relieve the pain. Plus I'll cook dinner, something soft and not painful to eat."

Jungwon doesn't reply immediately. "Thanks..." He murmurs, and he fiddles with the ends of the blanket and stares at Jay. Jay who was reorganizing the cans of food in the kitchen. Jay who's eyebrows slightly furrowed and lips unconsciously pouted when he's focused. Jay who had gone out of his way and changed his plans of alone time just to help Jungwon out. Jay who... Jungwon frowns when his gaze locks on his hands.

"Hey, what happened to your knuckles?" He says, walking over to Jay. Jay glances at him and his eyes dart to his own hands.

"Oh," Jay sighs, "do you want the honest answer or do you want me to say 'nothing'?"

Jungwon facepalms. "The truth!"

"Fine!" Jay sighs once again. He pulls out an ice pop and hands it over to Jungwon. "I... Well..." He takes a deep breath and says the next words in one go. "I saw your stupid ex. I had zero thought process and just went over to them. I punched him and then suddenly he was on the ground and I beat his face up and threatened that if he ever comes near you I'll kill him."

"Oh my god!" Jungwon's eyes were wide.

"I know! I know violence isn't always the answer!" Jay raises his arms in defense. His voice turns more quiet. "But... you should've seen the look on his face. It's like he sharted his pants."