forty one

"Spain? Why?"

"Another street team wanted me to join. They had heard about what happened, and I guess they liked the sound of me. I told them it would be temporary, only until I wasn't as wanted as I was at the time. They agreed to that and I left to Spain the next day."

"How long were you there?"

"About seven months."

"I remember thinking about you."

"What?"

"When you stopped showing up in the news and people stopped posting pictures or videos of your races or of spotting you out and about. You didn't show up to the Voltron event of that year either. I didn't get to beat you."

"Oh, I didn't think anyone cared."

"Everyone did. Well, maybe not cared, not necessarily. But your team definitely struggled without you. Not to sound cocky, but they're not a threat. Not without you. And I didn't have my person to race anymore."

His person? Lance's person? Keith was- he was Lance's person? What does that even mean? Was that meant to sound the way it did?

"You know that saying you don't mean to sound cocky makes you sound even more cocky?"

"No it doesn't." Lance sat back and crossed his arms dramatically.

"Hm, it does in your case."

"What's that meant to mean? You calling me cocky?" Lance looked back towards Keith, raising an eyebrow.

"So what if I am?"

"I think you're the cocky one actually."

"Excuse me?"

"Mhm. You heard me."

"No, no i don't think I did actually."

Lance leaned over, putting his hands on the sides of Keith's chair around his legs, looking up at him. "Are you deaf or do you just really like being close to my face?"

Keith rolled his eyes, but he was honestly screaming on the inside. The answer was yes, he does like being close to his face. But he couldn't say that.

"No answer? Gonna assume both then." Lance remained still, looking up at Keith.

"Whatever floats your boat."

"You're the one with a floating boat right now."

Keith's face went red. What? No. He looked down quickly and realised Lance was taking the piss. Lance burst out laughing, he thought it was the funniest thing. "Calm down Keithy, I wouldn't judge. I know I turn people on with just my good looks."

"You wish." Keith teased as Lance was now sat back in his sit, giggling profusely.

It took Lance a hot minute to calm down, still a great grin on his face. "Thank you Keith. For telling me."

"It doesn't sound as sincere when you say it through laughs."

Lance stopped smiling instantly, his gaze softening. "I mean it, thank you."

Keith's heart fluttered in his chest. He always took Lance as the type who can't ever take things seriously, but the second Keith needed him to, Lance did. And he did it in a way that didn't make Keith feel like a burden, which no one ever managed before. He always felt like he was taking up space and that he wasn't wanted, but Lance made him feel more comfortable, more confident.

Smiling, Keith kept his gaze at Lance for a little while longer before checking the time. It's nearly 3 o'clock. "What do you want to do now?"

"Well we never got to watch your film, so, wanna do that?"