CHAPTER 01

“All right, Henry. I think we can end this week's session” said the woman, writing her last notes on the form “We're making a lot of progress, I must congratulate you on that”

The boy gave her a weak smile, and the woman returned it.

Henry was a young man of seventeen, but with a lot on his back lately. About two months ago, he had experienced several family problems, which had made him seek out therapy sessions as an escape from the conflicts at home.

The woman tried her best to remain neutral, but she couldn't ignore the heavy lead in her heart, as she understood the boy's pain all too well.

Getting up, she accompanied the young man to the door.

“Very well, I hope to see you at the next session. Have a great week”.

“Thank you, ma'am” thanked Henry.

“We've been over this, Henry, just call me Rayna” said the woman, smiling “or you'll make me sound like a feeble old woman”.

Henry nodded, before leaving the room.

Rayna turned towards the office and sighed. She had been in the psychology field for a year and was still surprised by what came out of that room every day. People went to those sessions for different reasons. To be listened to by someone who won't judge them on the spot. To help them build a path to overcome their difficulties.

Her office was modest. There was a rectangular glass table next to the solid wood door, together with a burgundy armchair where her patients sat face to face. The paintings on the wall were of landscapes of waterfalls, forests, even the Romanian Athenaeum.

Grabbing her black handbag, Rayna locked the office and headed for the waiting room. Her receptionist — and best friend — Sam, was typing something into her computer.

“Hey, Sam. Tough day, huh?”

She remembered the time she decided to set up her own practice. She was in a new city, with different people and customs, depending on her savings. Fortunately, she had met Sam, and it didn't take long to realize that they both needed to get by economically in that city.

Sam took her eyes off the screen and looked at the woman.

“And when does it get easy?”. asks, looking at the calendar. “Weekend, huh? I think we can consider a girls' night out tonight

Rayna rolled her eyes. The two of them were the example of how friendship isn't symmetrical. Sam was the social spirit. She liked going to parties and staying away from home until her neurons said enough. Rayna, on the other hand, could spend the rest of her life stuck in her apartment — away from people — and not care. Still, living in fear of the world was something she wouldn't wish on anyone. She wanted to help people and break down their barriers.

To bring a new meaning to her life.

“I'm sorry, Sam, but cleaning your vomit out of my car with two liters of soap isn't what I consider a girls' night out”. said Rayna, making the quotation mark with her fingers.

“That was just once, and I apologized!”

“Yeah, after waking up from your eleven-hour sleep”

Sam pushed her shoulder, and Rayna laughed. The two locked up the office and headed for the parking lot.

“So? Are you going with me or not?”. Sam asked, reaching into her cross-body bag for her keys.

Rayna shook her head, denying it.

“I'd love to, Sam. But I can't today. How about next week?”

A scent of pine and mint mixed with the cold air as soon as Sam opened the car door.