CHAPTER 09

"What are these cookies?" said Angie, holding up the porcelain plate.

"So... They were supposed to be fritters, but since I didn't know how to fry them, I decided to try a little experiment and bake them," said Rayna, embarrassed. The kitchen was so frozen in time that it took her ages to figure out how to work it. There was no fridge, everything was stored in the cupboards, which were dirty. She had to come up with alternatives.

"You're going to kill us!"

Rayna held the kettle and filled Donna Beneviento's cup with lemonade tea for the third time in a row. From what she had discovered, the lord had a ruby colored box with many different types of tea, but she had a particular passion for the one made with honey and lemon.

Her shoulder was gradually improving, although Angie wasn't convinced. She insisted that she needed to rest, Rayna insisted that she didn't need all that.

"Anyway, they're called papanasi, at least here in Romania. I don't know how good they are, but I hope you like them"

Her relationship with Donna Beneviento was progressing and regressing at the same time. Three days ago, the lord chatted quietly with the stranger while she tended to her wound " perhaps because it was an emergency. On the other, she jumped with fright as soon as she was found wandering the corridors.

Rayna respected this, after all, it was part of her personality. Still, seeing her start to take part in meals was a significant step, and she was very happy about it.

The lord held up the dumpling and pushed aside the fabric of the veil, eating a piece of the pastry. Rayna caught a glimpse of her plump lips.

"So... Can I become Alcina's private chef or can I poison the Dahlia with my cupcakes?" joked Rayna.

Donna left her food on her plate, speaking quietly:

"I... liked it"

Rayna pouted "That seemed like a polite 'no' to me"

The dark veil had a few holes in the cheek area, which was what allowed the lord to see, and Rayna constantly tried to decipher her facial expressions whenever she was near. She succeeded just then, seeing Donna's eyebrows arch and her eyes widen in surprise. At least, one of them. For some reason, she couldn't see the other eye...? She imagined it was hidden by the dark fabric.

"They taste like lead," exclaimed Angie.

"No!" shouted Donna, seconds later covering her mouth with her hands, as if realizing that she had raised her voice.

Rayna smiled slightly. I thought her voice was lovely, well, when she spoke. It was husky, yet solemn, like a drop of warm honey falling on cold milk.

"All right! I surrender, I'll try it again next time and I assure you both that it will be edible"

Donna sipped her tea and sliced the brioche, probably not wanting to make eye contact. Rayna realized this quickly, and went to pick up the list of the day's tasks from the table. She liked to start early so that she could spend the rest of the day getting her thoughts in order or reading a book.

She would have gone away and left the two of them alone in the dining room, but obviously she didn't do that.

"So, I see that you make dolls. They're very beautiful. Is it like a hobby or do you sell them in the village?" she asked.

Both Angie and Beneviento were startled by such a question, unlike the little exchanges they'd had so far.

"If you don't want to tell me, that's fine"