CHAPTER 07

Heyo, guys! Here I am back with another chapter! I know I don't talk much around here, but I usually don't have much to say so I'll leave it at that haha.

First of all, a thousand apologies for taking so long to update. I'm a perfectionist so I end up reading and changing a few things every time.

I know that the story is unfolding very slowly. I'd like to drop a little spoiler and say that, from the next chapter, things will start to get interesting.

On another note, I'd like to thank everyone who is reading my story. It makes me extremely happy ♡

Well, that's it guys. I really hope you like this chapter. Happy reading and see you next time! ;)

《◇》

The serenity of the night was no match for Dahlia's inner turmoil. It wasn't fear, but something much deeper: the anxiety of imagining what her next few days would be like. At the moment, it was as if she was playing the role of a double agent. In the castle, she was working and providing valuable information to Alcina Dimitrescu. In the foggy mansion, she was doing the same thing. Although for a person who, for many in the village, was extremely disturbing.

Of course, Dahlia didn't regret things easily. In fact, she was prepared to go through with it. That is, if she managed to keep the mutant countess at bay for as long as necessary.

The villagers' houses were already meters away. The altar of coats of arms became a detail that was stared at by the maid and disappeared into the depths of her consciousness.

This time, the Duke wasn't there.

Arriving at her destination, Dahlia pushed open the wooden gate with her left shoulder and let herself be carried away by the warmth of the ostentatious estate. She had been through that labyrinth countless times, and knew by heart the possibilities of getting to Dimitrescu, without having to repeat them on the same day.

In front of her, there was a door on the right that led to a metal elevator. If she wanted to go left, she could reach the castle kitchen and then the courtyard. If she took the second option, it would take longer.

She preferred to take the traditional route: the circular staircase. As she climbed, the agonizing sound of a swarm sang in her ears.

Great, which of the three? she thought.

The storm broke out on the upper floor and stopped in front of Dahlia. The flies gave way to a woman with long black hair. The light burning from the chandelier on the ceiling shone into Cassandra's eyes, making the green look golden.

"Where were you?" she asked.

"Madame Dimitrescu told me to go to Casa Beneviento. Didn't your mother tell you?”

Cassandra opened and closed her mouth.

"No," she replied.

"Then your family has serious communication problems”

As Dahlia walked back up the steps, the swarm stopped in front of her. Flies threatened to enter her scalp. The girl let out a curse at the tingling sensation.

"Can you move away? Your little friends are ruining my privacy”

The brunette glared at her.

"I should cut your tongue out”

"Then do it over there in the corner, go," said the girl, pointing to the foot of the stairs.

Her previous argument was valid: working for Alcina Dimitrescu had its disadvantages. Dahlia had three: Cassandra, Daniela and Bela. She didn't despise them, quite the opposite. The three women helped make the environment less stressful. But there were moments — like that one — that could lead Dahlia to create a less discreet rebellion.