Forty-Seven

Atira was nervous about picking Rocco up and possibly crossing paths with Nina upon hearing that Krist had attempted to talk with her. However, she was also nervous about allowing Krist to pick Rocco up and potentially interact with her again. She'd never been an insecure woman, but somehow, she'd developed into one.

She pulled up to Marisol's house and let out an anxious breath. Why was she so nervous? Nina answered the door, her eyes avoiding Atira's.

"Hey, Rocco!" Nina yelled, "Your...mom...I mean, your dad's...girlfriend is here!"

Atira felt the sting of anger pierce through her, "I'm his wife," Atira corrected her, "We're married." She was almost surprised at the time that had come out of her mouth.

"Oh, that's right, how did I forget that," Nina replied sourly.

"I don't think we were ever introduced," Atira began, "I'm Atira."

Nina stared at her coldly, "I know you who are," she was almost hateful, "Look, I don't want to be your friend, and if you're worried that I want your...husband, believe me, there are plenty other men out there who can cheat and sneak do drugs behind my back," she told her with a dry laugh.

"Quit being a bitter ass hoe," a male voice chuckled. Fernando. "Where's the homeboy?" he asked as Nina sulked away.

"He's at home," Atira replied. Rocco, running up and hugging her, "Hey, buddy, did you have fun."

"Yeah, Victor stole my candy, though," Rocco told her.

Fernando looked down at his nephew, "I'll get you some candy, little fat fool ain't gonna jack you like that." He flashed a gold-toothed smile, "You can come in, don't mind Nina. She's always like that, ain't nothing personal. She don't like anyone."

Atira laughed politely, knowing that Nina had an issue with her on some level of personal, and followed Fernando to the back porch where a few remaining party attendees were seated, drinking beer and eating.

"Oh, Atira, I heard the news. Congratulations on the baby!"Fernando's wife, Angelina, called.

Atira grinned, "Thank you. We find out the gender on Monday."

"Are you wanting a girl?" Marisol asked.

Atira rubbed her belly affectionately, "I hope so. Krist swears he can only make boys, though."

Angelina rolled her eyes, "I think they all try to say that," she told her and pointed at Fernando.

"Are you going to be doing a gender reveal?" Marisol asked, filling a large Tupperware container with leftovers.

"Maybe with some cute pictures, but not one of those big over-the-top ones you see on Instagram," Atira laughed.

"You better let us know when you find out!"

"I definitely will."

****

"Aye, I thought your wife was gonna drop Nina's ass," Fernando cackled over the phone.

Krist's stomach dropped, "Why you say that?"

"Nina was just being a hater like usual, nothing new."

"Did she say something to Atira?" Krist asked, dumping sliced onions, carrots, bell peppers, and bean sprouts into the hot wok on the stove.

"Oh, Your girl was like, 'I'm his wife,'  and Nina said she don't want you because she can find other men to cheat on her," Fernando laughed, "I was waiting for Atira to lay her ass out."