Chapter 16: Ashes of The Past P2

(Out on the ocean, near Karakura)

A marine ship sailed smoothly through the night's dark ocean, ferrying many sailors that were moving about to keep it running. At the bow of the ship stood three men.

"I dunno about you two, but I'm getting a bit bored of sailing around, island to island," a smooth voice said sarcastically.

"We shall sail as long as the Vice Admiral wills it. You know this. If you want the mission to be over, perhaps you should do a better job at scouting potential targets," another voice reprimanded.

Below the ship, held in its bowels, an unearthly wail could be heard along with crashes. Despite the circumstances that should stir the sailors, none of the deckhands had seemed frightened by the commotion or even jarred. They all kept about their business.

"He's getting antsy again. Guess we'd better get to that next island sooner rather than later," the first voice looked to the ship's wooden floor unconcerned.

"And tell me...what is that next island?" a deep voice asked, coming from the leader...the Vice Admiral.

"That would be Karakura. Think we'll be finishing our research this time around?"

"Whether it ends in success or failure, something is learned from each attempt. I get one step closer to perfecting the virus...though I cannot lie about wanting more definite results," the Vice Admiral nudged up the glasses on his face.

"Look on the bright side, sir. We'll have a small reprieve from testing for a while...we've received correspondence to return to the Grand Line," the second voice said.

"True, though that only annoys me...Release it," the Vice Admiral commanded a random marine.

A hidden door appeared on the ship's hull, releasing something too hard to make out in the dark of night. It dove into the ocean, making a beeline for Karakura, its bubbled trail the only evidence that it was approaching the innocent, unknowing populace.

"We'll arrive officially in the morning, call Headquarters then. Let them know that another outbreak has been found...and we will attempt a suppression and rescue."

"At once, Vice Admiral Aizen," the two voices nodded their heads as the moon shone on their superior officer, showing a gently smiling face.

(The next day)

"Ahhh!" Ichigo flew headfirst into the wall of the dojo, losing once again.

"Another win for Tatsuki," Rukia made a tic in a small notepad...along with terrible drawings of rabbits.

"Still have to admire the resolve," Chad crossed his arms.

"Hang on, Kurosaki-kun!" Orihime yanked the boy out of the hole.

Not even a second later, he sprung back up on his feet, a bloody nose, and fired up for yet another spar.

"Another round, Tatsuki! I'll be ready this time!" Ichigo wiped his nose and walked back into the ring.

Tatsuki shook her head and turned her back to the boy, placing her arms behind her head as she walked out of the ring.

"Nah, I think five times is enough today," Tatsuki waved him off.

"We didn't spar five times today!" Ichigo raged behind the girl, watching her grab her stuff to go change out of her gi.

"Um, Ichigo, you did," Chad spoke up.