Chapter Eleven - Remembering

"What do you know about your case worker, Kade Sullivan?" Grey said, still keeping his gaze on Morgan despite her looking away and back through the glass to watch Tim questioning Diaz

"What do you know about your case worker, Kade Sullivan?" Grey said, still keeping his gaze on Morgan despite her looking away and back through the glass to watch Tim questioning Diaz. "We believe that he may have had some involvement into how Regina Diaz got to a position to leverage both you and the department."

"Right. I never really saw Sullivan. He stayed away from me. I met him once, maybe twice. He likes to keep a professional distance." She slowly answered.

Grey lifted his coffee cup up and took a small sip. "You're a good judge of character, Morgan. Did anything seem off about him? I know it was a while back but anything helps."

"He seemed a bit odd, nervous even. But I put it down to him being paranoid about the operation. I mean it can't be easy for these caseworkers to not have consistent contact with their UC's."

"What do you mean? Did you not check in with him daily?"

"No." Morgan said, looking down. Now that she said it out loud, it was strange that Kade never requested to check in with her and Williamson often. "He wanted weekly check-ups. He never said why though."

"Is there anything else? At all because the more you can remember, the less leverage Regina will have to bargain with us."

"I'm sorry, Wade. I really am. I can have a look through some of my journals from that time, I think Tim kept them."

Grey nodded his head. "Please. I guess it's now down to Tim."

———

"Hello Officer Bradford, I'm glad to see you back in here again after your break. You kept me waiting for longer than I had hoped." Regina said, posed as a wall of confidence as she had done during every other talk with the detectives. "I found it rather rude."

"Not my problem." Tim retook his seat opposite her. He had stepped out when Regina had started to get irate with him, he needed her as calm and rational, well as rational as a drug queen-pin could be, before he could get anything viable from her.

He remembered the day he had arrested her, how helpless and frightened she seemed. She was backed into a corner, but now she had a fighting chance and by God did she know it. "You wanted a deal. Let me say this one more time. Tell us about Kade Sullivan and I'm sure the District Attorney will be nicer to you."

Regina smirked. "No. I have something you want. So I lay out the terms. You know what I want after our... exchange but I want something first. I think that is only fair, considering your situation."

"My situation?"

"Oh you know. How Morgan's being back in LA will cause some problems for you and your colleagues." Regina watched, laughing softly as Tim's face twisted in confusion. "You really think that just because I'm sitting in handcuffs that I wouldn't follow through on my threat."

"Whatever it is, call it off. Now!"

"How about you do something for me first, Officer Bradford. Quid Pro Quo."

"Fine. What do you want?"

"I want you to tell me how it felt two years ago when I forced Morgan to vanish. How it felt to lose your wife and not being good enough to find her."

Of all the things he expected her to say, this was one of the last. He had thought that she would have asked to walk free, or a reduced sentence at the least, but she just wanted to relish in his pain.

She wanted to know how numbing it felt for him to filter by day to day, his reason to carry on with each day painstakingly stolen from. She wanted to enjoy the powerlessness he had felt when each lead led to another heartbreaking dead end. She wanted him to be reminded of each day, and how they got more and more painful as time went past. Her demand was a reminder of the nights he would drink himself to sleep because that was the only way he could close his eyes and not see Morgan face in his mind.

It was a reminder of how he couldn't look at daisies without crying, or enjoy music, or find a purpose. It was a reminder that he had become a hateful shell of who he used to be, and that even though she was back with him, he didn't know if he would ever get that piece of his former self back. It was a reminder of how he planned for an easy way out for himself if the grief got too bad.

Regina wanted to remind Tim that she had taken it all away before, and that she could take it all away again. And she wanted him to admit that.

"So, Officer Bradford. What will it be?"

Tim launched himself up so he could lean down on the table and over her, "You should know how I felt. It was probably the same way you did when your husband died when the LAPD raided one of his warehouses. I was there that day. I took him, so you took her. But I got my wife back, but your husband is still six feet under."

"How dare you!" Regina screeched, as she rattled in the chains, trying to find her way out of the cuffs. For the first time since she had been arrested, she lost her well maintained composure. 

Tim took a step back from the table. "Thank you for cooperating. Prison transport will be here for you soon."

"But what about our deal?! You won't know what's coming without me."

"I think we'll be fine, Ms. Diaz," Tim kept his back to her as he stopped at the door "because we now know that we were being hunted, so now we can prepare. So, thanks for the heads up. Enjoy prison."

As soon as the door shut behind him, Tim leant against the door, trying to make sense of what had happened. Surely she was bluffing, they could monitor her calls and her visitation  to try to not allow her to give any command, but if she was as intelligent and conniving as she had presented herself to be, she would find a way around it.

As he heard Grey and Morgan exit the observation room, he pushed himself off the door. Grey held himself strong, not showing any panic or concern at this stage, but his eyes darted in thought, clearly going over the possibilities of what could happen now. Morgan presented herself similarly, except her tell was the fiddling of her wedding band. She used to play with her engagement ring, but due to the dangers of the job and the possibility of it causing harm when in contact with a perp, she quickly replaced it with a plain wedding band, identical to Tim's.

"So what now? You don't really believe her, do you?"

Morgan moved to place her hand on Tim's arm. "I wouldn't put anything past her."

"Then it's settled,"  Grey said, "We hope for the best and plan for the worst."