7 ⋆ Apologies, Cries, Betrayal

"She's not dead!" A voice loosely rang through the air. A familiar voice. Strong. "You've killed us all!"

Those were the first words I hear when I was able to gain a shred enough of consciousness to hear, anyway. My eyes were heavy and my head pounded.. but I was alive. That much I knew.

I try to tune out the arguing I hear. It didn't mingle well with the ringing in my ears.

My body didn't feel good. Without bothering to use strength to open my eyes, I let out a meek whimper and attempt to sit up.

That was cut short by a warmth on my shoulder, then a soft voice from over me of a man. "Uh.. she's up..!" He called out, and that arguing stopped.

I groan again and open my eyes enough to see a large man over me, tall and wide. I look down to where he was holding my shoulder. His hand was only a nub.

I tilt my head and look back up to his unfamiliar face. He didn't look mean in the slightest. He looked at me with concern though.

But who did he call out to?

I try to peak behind him and see, though I couldn't quite from my spot on the floor. But then I heard that same voice, the familiar one, and I'm finally taken back. "Y/n?" Was asked, and I knew who it was in an instant. The same strong voice that guided me. The same one that was just yelling.
Madame Kaji's.

I was in the brothel. I was back. I was home.

I gasp and make myself get up this time, even with the soft force on my shoulder encouraging me to stay down. I felt the loose fabric of a kimono lazily wrapped around me, put there in my unconscious state.

"Madame Kaji?" I scramble to look over the man. And sure enough, there she was.. but.. with him. The man from Hamata's house. My hopeful expression briefly dropped because of a pang of fear that swelled in me when I saw him. What in the world was going on?

So that's just what I asked. "What's.. happening?" My voice slightly shaky. "Madame Kaji?"

Her face looked harsh and scared, but she felt more a ease with me up. I could just feel it coming off of her.

Her energy was just so complicated, as if right now she was both the happiest and saddest she's ever been with a tint of anger painting both of them.

Without letting another second pass my lips quivered and I teetered up and sprint to her, throwing myself into her arms and molding to her body. I didn't know whether to celebrate or cry. I guess my emotions were complicated right now too.

"Madame Kaji.." I whispered "I thought I'd never see you again. I'm so sorry! I'm sorry! I was an idiot, I doomed myself! You told me to stay inside and I didn't listen! It's not your fault, I'm so sorry, forgive me, please.." I blab and break down, but her hands lowering and hugging be back ease me a bit.

"Shh.. shh.. it's okay, it's okay." She tried to calm me. "It's boss Hamata's fault if any." She went on in whispers.

I sigh and cling to her. How can she just excuse my choices? Just like that?

"But.." I try to counter before she interjected.

"Shh, you're just as much a victim as anyone else. A mistake you made doesn't fault you for your mistreatment. It was a mistake, and you're forgiven." She stepped away to rest a hand on my face. "You were forgiven the second you were ripped from me."

My tear brimed eyes set on her and I nod. But.. not for long, I still had questions. My head cranked to the man from Hamata's gambling house. "What's happening. I'm confused.. madam Kaji?" I asked slowly, looking up to her. "What did you say just a second ago..?" I fall silent for a second to recall what I heard as I drowsily woke up by the big kind man. "I wasn't— am not dead, who's 'killed us all'?" I breathe faster, more panicked. "Who is this man?!" I point to the slender man who saved me from Hamata. "Who?!"

She let out a shaky breath and held her hands up, her expression shifting closer to seriousness. "Calm, child. I've never lied to you before. I will not now." She sighed. "I've sent him to you."

I look back to the man, then double back to Kaji.
"To save me? Madame Kaji, no. You said it yourself! You can't cross Hamata! He'll be here any second to burn the place down!" I cried and pointed to the man. "He shouldn't have taken me!"

"I know!" She cut in. "I know."

Kaji's glare caught on the man. "He shouldn't have."

Finally the man himself broke out of his streak of silence. "I was already seen. It was either kill her and get this place burned down, or bring her here and get this place burned down." He said, almost emotionlessly.

My heart dropped and my eyes widened. Hell, the whole world stopped spinning.
"Kill me?" I whispered, my voice thin. "What is he talking about?" I ask shakily up to madame Kaji.

She looked more unsure than I've ever seen her. The same face one makes after getting caught in a terrible lie, or when they've betrayed something dear to them.

"Madame Kaji!" I prompt again at her silence.

She nodded and took a breath, "y/n, listen." She said slowly. "I sent him.. to kill you. I thought it was the only way to spare you of your misery and keep our family safe. I was trying to spare you. Please understand." She explained. It sounded more like pleading.

My breath caught in my throat and I stumbled back. It felt like I had just been impaled through the stomach. I can see where she came from, and a part of me was greatful, but a bigger part of me felt a stinging betrayal. How dare she take my life— no, my death into her hands? How could she? There had to be another way to do this!

My eyes brimmed with hot tears and I stepped back again. Looking between everyone frantically.

What was happening?

A voice broke me from my panic.
Madame Kaji. "It was the only way to save your soul." She let out. A mangled whisper was all she managed.

I couldn't even begin to think of a response. I couldn't. Not to the only woman I loved. That I probably would ever love after this news.

"She did the right thing in what she asked me." A voice broke the silence.

Him.

What right did he have to speak?

I may not be able to summon a response from myself for Madame Kaji, but I was able to for this man. "Who do you think you are?" I ask shakily.

My gaze flicked up to him and I took a step in his direction, pointing a warning finger. "Wait! Don't even answer that cause I'll do one better. Who are you?"I ask forcefully, though my voice was cracking in pain.

He tilted his head, eyes narrowing under his orange tinted glasses. There wasn't much more to say about him than was already said. He was not like anything I had ever seen before.
"Me?" I stepped forward to be right back and looked down on me.

"I'm Mizu."

•°•°•°•