Chapter 5: Surprise

Early the next morning, Sarah landed at the biggest airport in Zaida City; New Stanton International Airport. The airport was chaos, filled with unseen faces hustling and bustling with their luggage to reach their destination while some were running with tearful eyes to the welcoming arms of their loved ones.

Today, Sarah had ditched her usual formal wear and settled for something casual. She had a pair of flats given to her by her savior last night. She could have chosen something else but this pair of flats now had a different meaning. This pair had replaced her blue heels.

As she took a step forward, one could barely notice a limp. Sarah had to admit that his tender care and magical hands worked wonders on her foot. She could have forgotten she injured her ankle if not for the dull pain when she took a step.

Sarah took out her phone and scrolled through her contact list. Her fingers stopped at the Brandon's name. She wanted to inform him of her arrival but hesitated then decided against it. She put the phone back in her bag as a mischievous smile plastered her face. It was better to give him a nice surprise. Who knows? She might catch him in his panda suit he always hid in his closet. This thought had a beautiful smile bloom on her face.

When she got to their apartment, she keyed in the password and got into the house without any problem. She took off her flats and slipped into peach-colored slippers with bunny ears that she liked even though Brandon thought they were silly.
These bunny slippers reminded her of the little bunnies that her little brother, Glen, kept back in her hometown. Glen had gifted her saying, "Big sister, I bought you special bunnies since you can't take real bunnies to the city." 

She tiptoed to the living room and was ready to shout 'surprise' but her words stuck on her throat.

On her favorite sofa, Brandon sat reclining with a woman sitting on his lap. Her hands framed his face while his left hand was on her waist.  Her red night gown had slipped off her left shoulder and his right hand groped her exposed full breast. The two were so engrossed in the kiss that they did not notice an intruder. Or maybe, the girl noticed but was more than happy to have an audience.

That image had brought back a memory she had buried deep inside her heart for so long. "Sarah, your father has a new family now," her mother had said years ago. She could still remember her mother's sweating eyes — of course, it wasn't sweat — and a pain shot through her heart.  Her mother was right; these men were not to be trusted.

Sarah stood at the doorway, contemplating whether to kill those cheaters or yell at them until they died of a brain hemorrhage. In the end, she figured that going to jail for such trash wasn't worth it. She adjusted her breath and took a step forward, making sure to bump into something loud enough to alert the two lovers.

"Sarah!" Brandon shouted in horror when he noticed her standing right in front of him. He pushed the lady away as fast as possible and went to take Sarah's luggage. He ruffled his hair as he looked at her, trying to find the right words to say.

In this kind of situation, there are rarely any right words to say. So he decided to act as if everything was normal. "Weren't you supposed to come back tomorrow? Did something happen at work? You could have told me earlier, I'd have picked you up."

Sarah glanced at him once but remained silent as her gaze fell on Clara, her former roommate, who sat relaxed on the sofa as if she owned the house. Clara raised her head to meet Sarah's gaze, giving her a provocative look. "Long time no see, Sarah."

That look disgusted Sarah. She shook a head as she couldn't understand why Clara seemed so proud of being a mistress. Perhaps she would never understand Clara because the two of them had very different values in life. Anyways, since Brandon could still act normal after being caught red-handed, she might as well play along.

"It hasn't been long at all." Sarah smiled back as she grabbed a glass from the table. She watched as Clara's face paled. She toyed with the glass, tossing it up and down like a tennis ball, and pretended to hurl it at Clara. She snickered when Clara let out an earth-shattering scream and covered her head with both hands.

Sarah walked to the dispenser and filled the glass with water. She took a sip as she enjoyed Clara's animated reactions. "Didn't we see each other often? We lived together before graduation, remember?" She sat opposite Clara and placed her glass on the table with a soft thud. She crossed her legs and leaned back on the chair. "But I guess it is long enough for you to hook up with my fiancé."

Clara sat up and took back her previous expression. She looked so happy from Sarah's words that she even flashed a flirty smile at Brandon who stood beside the coffee table unable to decide what to do. He waited for Sarah to yell at him, hit him, or do something that girls usually do when they catch their boyfriend cheating.

Sarah smiled, pretending not to see his expression getting more unsettled, and shifted her attention to Clara. "I heard you quit your job a month ago. So, where are you currently working at?"

"Oh, you still don't know?" Clara laughed lightly as her delicate fingers covered her mouth, revealing a flirtatious expression. She seemed proud that she knew something Sarah didn't and it gave her a kind of satisfaction that she felt special. She leaned on the chair proudly and said, "I'm working at Brandon's company as his assistant."

"No wonder Brandon has been so enthusiastic about his job recently," Sarah said as she sipped her water again. "So that's the reason." She shook her head and chuckled. "What a waste. I thought he was working on a million-dollar project and even did all I could to support him."

"Sarah, I..." Brandon finally found his voice.

"Relax, I understand." Sarah flashed a charming smile at him that made his heart skip a beat.  She reached for her suitcase, took out an exquisite box, and passed it to him. "It is the best-roasted coffee beans from the Northern Highlands you enjoy the most." Sarah glanced at Clara,  took off the necklace Brandon had bought for her, and passed it to Clara. "Sorry, I didn't know we had a guest so please make do with this."

Brandon's heart gradually calmed down as he saw the smile on Sarah's face. Yes, he was only playing around with another woman, it was no big deal. Who doesn't play around occasionally? Besides, the woman in charge of his house, his wife would only be Sarah. This guarantee should be enough to satisfy her, right?

A/N: don't forget to vote. (helps this story be visible to others)