Prologue -And Hopefully the Darkest Part

***Trigger Warning: Gore***

Sila frowned down at the bucket, hand tapping agitatedly against her breastbone. Am I strong enough to make the journey? I haven't practiced carrying water with my hind legs. She hadn't thought this one through.

Normally, she wouldn't have to travel far from her catacomb entrance in order to retrieve her experiment water. All she'd do is scoop the water into her bucket and carry it with her hands; she could easily walk back to her caves. But since this trip would take a few hours' flying – which is far too long a walk – she wouldn't be able to use her hands.

Her tail flicked up and down with indecision. Could she really hold on to so much weight? It's a very large bucket, after all. Inspecting the wooden thing, she frowned in thought. If she can't do it, that would mean the end of her experiment.

Sila hardened her resolve. That won't happen. Besides, how hard could it be?

Grabbing the bucket with one foot, she tottered, hopping precariously to keep her balance. Her lips curled in concentration, stretching the skin on her face. She would do this. She had to, or those weeks of begging would be for nothing. Not to mention her brother would never let it go. With the threat of that fueling her, she forced herself to concentrate.

After a moment, she steadied.

A warm note rumbled out of her throat. Sila was pleased with herself. This would be easy. She hefted the bucket with one leg, and when its weight didn't make her sway her spirits grew. Maybe I can do this.

She extended her wings out to their full length and tried an experimental puff, lifting herself a few inches off the ground. Immediately, the sheafs of parchment on either side of her flew into the air with a shush.

'Damn it,' Sila sighed to herself as she immediately dropped back to the ground, still trying to hold on to the bucket. Her teeth gnashed inside her mouth. 'I just organized those.'

An amused huff from the entryway startled Sila. Quickly, she dropped the bucket and bobbed her head, folding her wings against her back. She'd been caught.

Eeva laughed again, ducking his huge dark head inside the room.

'Don't pretend like I didn't see that, sister. Aren't you supposed to be the genius in our clutch?'

Sila's skin heated.

'Shut up,' She answered weakly, sweeping the papers away with her tail. It only made a bigger mess, bending them all out of shape and scattering them even more.

Well, what the hell. Sila's arms dropped to the floor, the skin of her wings gliding against the ground as she bent to clean up the mess. Her scales cast a bright silvery glow, lighting up the pages and making it easy for her to gather them up. At last, she straightened, trying to compose herself.

'Are you all ready to go? I was just trying to figure out how to travel with this clunky thing,' Sila said, kicking the bucket with a clank.

Her younger brother sniffed and bowed through the archway, filling the cavern with his massive bulk.

'I was planning on carrying you anyway. Don't worry too much about the bucket.'

Sila's tail curled around her legs as she straightened, staring up Eeva's very tall body to look him in the eyes. His words rankled.

'Thank you very much for the suggestion, but I refuse,' She denied in her best "I won't take that from you" voice.

It made him laugh.

'If you're flying with us, I'll drop out of the sky. You know you won't be able to keep up if we go at a slow pace, let alone the brisk one father ordered us to use."