Chapter 1 - She's Not Like Other Princesses

Heidi

"Dodge it, dodge it!"

"They're preparing to fire again, get out of the way!"

I leaped to the side, rolling on my shoulder to keep myself moving. A blast of ice nearly speared me, splintering a scraggly tree. Damn. That was close. Back on my feet, Bernadette in hand, I watched my men as they battled the behemoth of a dragon. They weren't being cautious enough, some of them, and their feet were sliding closer to the edge of the bog.

"Avoid the pits, or you'll trade death by dragon with death by drowning!" I roared, then sprang forward with my club.

I couldn't even get a strike in as its tail whipped past me, throwing me back with a massive gust of wind. I hissed with frustration, only barely managing to stay on my feet as my heels scraped against the ground. There was no way we were going to best this 80 foot beast, but it was a coward's way to back down now. The dragon's long throat rumbled with a chorus of low overtones, mouth dropping open. I recognized the sequence of notes and dropped to the ground with a curse.

"GET DOWN NOW!"

Not a split second later, a monstrous wave of air ripped the red dust of the Badlands up around our heads. I flattened myself as best as I could, my braid whipping back in the maelstrom. It just barely scraped over my body, swallowing me up and stinging my bare skin.

Despite all the danger, I was thrilled.

The dragon's music was beautiful and exhilarating, like facing down a massive dust storm. It echoed around my ears like ethereal wind chimes, or a series of multi-toned war gongs. Listening to it made my blood thrum in my veins. How many opportunities do you get in a lifetime to hear something like this?

The song suddenly cut off with an ear-splitting screech.

What's wrong with them? I demanded as the wind started to die down, fists curling against the hardened ground. Walking around on all fours? Foaming at the mouth? They're normally very intelligent creatures.

Even their eyes looked different; I'd noticed it since our first encounter. They were naturally pale blue but unnaturally filmy, as if the dragon were half-blind. And their rectangular pupils weren't dilating correctly, constantly either a thin sliver of black or large and blown-out.

I cursed again, slamming a hand against the hard packed ground. Fenick would know what might be wrong with it. I had a fair few guesses myself.

They would have to be spared for later, though. The dragon was preparing for something else. I grit my teeth, watching them intently.

Their scarred chest heaved.

Their muscles quaked, great wings stretching out above their head.

I stayed flat on the ground and warned my men to do the same. At last, the dragon tilted their head back and a different melody poured from their mouth like the humming metal strings of a lyre. A beacon of fire exploded above its head but didn't touch any of us. My jaw dropped at the stunning display. Damn. What a magnificent creature.

The song cut off sharply, the fire banking as quickly as it was lit.

I watched with bated breath. What are they planning?

Their wings flapped once, twice...

I ducked in preparation, folding my arms over the back of my head.

The dragon shot into the air.

I didn't move a muscle as more dust showered over us. When no other attack followed, I raised my head. They were blazing through the sky now, singing again but no longer glowing with flames. The song was mournful, humming with pain and grief. A suppressed echo in my chest answered as I watched them spiral upwards.