14 This Is Me, Broken

*
DANIEL VOLKOV

On a lovely Friday evening, Grigor parked the Lincoln in front of Tomasso's estate.

Tucked in between rows of trimmed vineyards and a shimmering lake, was a two-story, ivy-covered house. A picture-perfect proof of Rossi living his best life.

Already, dozens of guests were arriving, handing the keys of their flashy cars to valets and accepting refreshments from the white-gloved waitstaff.

On the left, in front of a maze-looking rose garden was a courtyard. Workers were running to arrange floral centerpieces on round tables, adjusting small platforms in the middle of the dance floor with easels and spotlights for the art to be auctioned later.

Tomasso and Valentina were nowhere to be seen. Maybe they were inside, waiting to make a dramatic entrance.

My boots crunched beneath the gravel as I stepped out. The gang behind me. Their expressions as stiff as mine, including Clara's.

Of course. None of us wanted to be here.

But I still put on a poker face and my palm on Clara's low back, making our—

She pulled away hissing. "Get your hands off—"

"Shh." I smiled through gritted teeth. "We're supposed to like each other, remember?"

"Um, no. You're supposed to like me. Why would anyone believe I'd ever fall for you?"

Ouch. "Obviously because I'm rich, handsome, sexy, and you find me irresistible."

She snorted but failed to come up with a smart reply when I brushed my thumb lower, grazing her skin above the waistband of her skirt.

I leaned to whisper in her ear. "If you don't like my hands on you, then why are you blushing?"

"I'm having an allergic reaction."

I chuckled. Complete bullshit. I still remembered her breathless amusement when I massaged her feet. Or how she refused to let me train her and chose Niko instead. She was avoiding me, avoiding whatever fucked up sexual tension kept building between us.

Maybe she was the smart one. Because if I wasn't careful, then my plan was going to be the reason of my death. Tomasso wouldn't hesitate to use her against me.

We were escorted into the house, and it felt like wolves were hiding behind every corner, waiting to sink their teeth into me. I scanned left and right. Left and right. Over and over again. Monitoring every detail, every face, every potential threat.

Upstairs, our rooms awaited. Thankfully, Charlotte and the boys were directly across from us. Of course, Charlotte would sleep with Niko and Andrei. I wasn't going to risk her staying alone in my enemy's house.

The moment we walked through Clara's bedroom, she whirled to me with a pointed finger.

"Okay. Don't dare make fun of me. Everything is from my teenage—"

"Shh." I scanned for—

"Excuse me?"

"Shut up for a second—"

"Don't fucking—"

I covered her mouth with my hand and held the back of her neck with my other one to keep her still.

If looks could kill, I'd drop dead.

"Shut. Your. Mouth." I whispered. "Not another word."

Something in my expression must've gone through her, because she angrily obeyed. I stepped back and rolled my eyes at her silent attitude, then turned to do my job.