18 I Don't Care About The Knife

DANIEL VOLKOV

"Spread your legs," I ordered, my steps slow and steady behind Clara. "Wider."

With serious focus, she fired the pistol. Her body jerked back from recoil. The sound blasted through the indoor shooting range. The bullet? It barely grazed the edge of the paper target.

"Again."

"I can't do this." She shook her head.

"Of course, you can. You're being trained by the best."

"I don't want to kill."

"Well, too bad. You might have to." I shrugged as she threw me a glare. "I offered you a way out, you refused. This is the price. You need to be ready. That includes putting a bullet through anyone who threatens you."

"How many times have you killed?"

"Doesn't matter."

"How many?"

"Please, respect your teacher's privacy, young lady. I won't tolerate this kind of behavior."

"Fuck you." She laughed.

"If you make this shot."

"I. Hate. You."

I had to give it to her. Clara did not back down from a challenge. Oh, no. The past week, I'd put her through hell day and night. Between training at the gym and learning how to aim, she undoubtedly wanted me dead. I didn't go easy on her at all. But she worked hard.

I stepped closer until my chest warmed her back. Closing my hands over hers, I guided her fingers around the trigger. I forgot how small she was sometimes. Her muscles were trembling. But telling her to take a break would result in violence.

"I believe in you." I pulled back to watch. "Now show me what you got."

She pulled the trigger aaand—nope.

"Are you sure I can't kill with yoga?" She whined.

I huffed a laugh. "With a fierce downward facing dog? Yeah, for sure." The line between her eyebrows deepened as she stared forward. She wasn't present. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing, why?"

"You seem distracted."

She'd been distant ever since I asked her to leave that night. When I pushed her away, but she saw right through it. Not only that, but she also kissed my cheek and told me I made her feel safe.

Now I struggled to sleep, not because of nightmares, but because she invaded every thought in my head. I wanted to be near her. I craved her in ways I'd never craved anyone before. In ways that terrified me.

"How so?" she asked.

"I don't know. Like you're hiding something."

"I didn't realize we're besties. So what if I'm hiding something?" She straightened her arms to aim again. "Mind your own business."

Alright. I'd let it go. For now. She was holding a gun, after all. Even though her posture sucked.

"Bend forward." I kicked the inner side of her shoe, forcing her legs to spread wider. "On the balls of your feet, Clara. Good. A little more— there. Don't move. That's perfect."

She held her breath (which was the opposite of what she was supposed to do). It made the recoil a lot harder. She lost her balance and fell back. I caught her waist, pushing away the guilty pleasure as her ass pressed against me.