28 Break My Broken Heart

CLARA ROSSI

Tomorrow, we'd face my dad. Once and for all.

Every minute raced too fast. But Daniel was so calm. He was a force I selfishly leaned on.

Around sunset, we reached a small town. The Kowalski siblings were staying down the street in a different rental. I drilled Daniel with questions about it, but he didn't seem worried. Apparently, we had the rest of the night to chill. A calm before the storm.

Rain trickled on the cobble-stone streets. On the patio tables and chairs in front of coffee shops. 

Daniel unlocked the door of an abandoned bookstore, above which was the loft where we'd be staying tonight. 

Dark, moody and gothic. With arched windows, emerald walls, candles. So many candles. A black intimate dining table. A record player with a collection of music.

While he triple-checked the guns with Niko and Andrei (guns I couldn't stomach to look at, not after Enzo, maybe not ever,) I begged Charlotte to go shopping with me. Dinner, I explained to Daniel.

"He said what?" Charlotte smirked later when I shared what he promised about tonight.

"That I need all my strength to take what he'll give me." I rolled my eyes, smushing the boiled potatoes with chopped green onions in a pot. 

"Oh my God. Is that why Niko is dragging us to a bar later?" She snorted. "Well, enjoooy."

"Don't be jealous."

"I'm not."

"Hey, I have a question." I smirked at her over my shoulder. "Did you leave a wet spot on Andrei's lap?"

"I hate you!" She swatted me with a dish towel. 

I laughed. "You love me."

"I do love you, but that's not the point— oooh, let's set the mood for you tonight!"

"You do realize, he's like your brother—" 

"Let's set the mood for you, babyyy." She cackled and proceeded to light every single candle (there had to be at least a hundred) in the loft.

After she successfully turned the place into a fire hazard, she excused herself. I finished setting the table. Perfectly cooked medium-rare steaks with roasted asparagus and mashed potatoes. A bowl of salad with grapefruit and pumpkin seeds. Bottles of wine and sparkling water. 

I went downstairs to find Niko and Daniel on the couch, chatting about bullets.

"The food is ready," I said.

"Be right—" Daniel eyes widened when he saw me. 

I looked down at my black wrap dress—just a thin knit with a slit I bought today. Hadn't worn a dress in so long. I missed it. I hadn't styled my hair in a while either, or put on makeup. But I wanted to, today. For him. 

"What?" I tried to be annoyed, but his stunned appreciation made my cheeks burn.

He stood up, a slow grin spreading over his face. "Hey, beautiful."