4 | I need you more

I was laid out on the floral loveseat with my head on Alejandra's lap. On the floor, Min-Jun sat on a seat cushion in front of the loveseat. He's clicking a pen. 

 The basement felt like a sauna, with the air thick and heavy. In the center of the floor, an orange, dingy rug lay, emanating the odor of cat urine, while a box fan hummed and gently vibrated. In the dimly lit room, the only source of light came from retro brown and yellow lamps tucked away in the corner.

We've been hosting tryouts for a new lead guitarist for an hour and my head pounded from hearing so many bad riffs from people who only thought they could play because of Guitar Hero.

A middle-aged white guy shows up to the tryouts wearing a tie-dye. He's balding at the top of his head and what little hair he had was pulled into a low ponytail. White knee-high socks with sandals. It's an ugly combo.

Alejandra leaned her head down whispering to me. "See, I told Jun we should have put an age limit on the flier."

"We have to be open." 

"Open my ass, he looks like a creep."

We wouldn't have to be looking for another lead guitarist if Benny, our old one, hadn't been fucking Min-jun's mom, who is our manager.

It was perfectly fine for them to fuck. Benny was nineteen. He always had a thing for Min-jun's mom, just older women in general.

 It was subtle enough that Min-jun didn't notice a thing, but Alejandra and I picked up on things here and there but never said a word; it wasn't any of our business.

Min-jun's right eye was still black from where Benny got in a lick when they fought. It happened on the front lawn at 2 am, Benny in his boxers and Min-Jun's mom in her robe screaming for them to stop.

"The name is Dave." The guy said.

"Hi, Dave, what are you playing today?" Min-Jun asked. Click from the pen.

"This totally sick riff," he said.

That's all I needed to zone out. My phone buzzed with a text from Percy, Hey, baby boy.

I hadn't heard from him since the night we fucked in the Countryside and that was five days ago. 

Now he probably wanted me after Abigail bored his taste.

My thumb is hovering over the cracked screen of my Samsung.

Me: I miss you.

I mentally cringe at myself.

The sound of Dave's guitar shattering against the hard concrete floor echoes through the basement. He's breathing heavily, beads of sweat rolling down his face. With his eyes closed he lived in whatever moment he had made up in his head.

"I'm born to be a rockstar baby." Dave whisperers.

"Okay, we'll call you if we make a decision." Min-Jun.

Dave walks out of the basement in a cool stride, dragging his broken guitar behind him.

"That's a fuck no," Alejandra said.

"I'm with her."

Min-Jun goes through the paper with names scribbled on it in red ink. He sighs. Dipping his head back.

"Why the fuck did Benny have to stick his dick in my mom."

And on cue, his mom walks in with big rollers in her bleach blonde and wearing a red tank top that reads: HOT MILF HERE.

"Hey brats so I have news." She said, popping on her gum.

"You found a lead guitarist that you aren't going to fuck?" Min-Jun asked.