Paying the Piper

TV Shows » Outlander »

IMHO Diana should never have had Jamie spank Claire with a sword belt--in the eyes of the law that is domestic abuse. I also think she missed a great opportunity for a really hot sex scene, but I don't intend to pass up the opportunity.

We mounted up at the end of the avenue. Jamie took the horse at a walk, then gradually increased to a jog, then a slow easy gallop. I kept looking anxiously over my shoulder, but as no riders seemed to be coming, I let myself relax for a while, enjoying the feeling, as I always did, of being on horseback.

It looked like we were going to succeed. I watched as dawn rose, as the sun came up, but still, no riders followed us. It was not so far to Chateau La Mere now. Jamie could drop me off at any time and I could walk the rest of the way. We'd done it. He could go back to the camp now and face the wrath of Dougal, and I would have to face Georgie.

I had given in to overconfidence. The sound was faint at first, but soon it was plain what I was hearing. Horses, horses galloping behind us. They had discovered we were gone before we expected them to. Now they were trying to catch us to us, reclaim their captive and take their vengeance on Jamie. "Behind us, Jamie," I told him. "Aye," he replied, "and before us, too."

I looked up to see a group of horsemen riding from the chateau, Georgie and Colin at the head. Damn, we'd ridden into a trap. Not an intentional one, I'm sure the McKenzies had not expected to run into the Campbells. He had no choice but to pull the horse up and wait. We looked at each other, resigned to our fate. Georgie reached us first.

"Irina, are you all right?" A look of both anger and fear was on his handsome face.

"I'm fine, this man was just bringing me back home. He helped me, do you understand?"

"Aye, so I do. Now you can get off that horse and mount up behind me."

"Fine." Bastard, I muttered to myself, but I obediently put my foot in the stirrup he offered me and swung up behind him on his hunter.

"Jamie Fraser, is it?" Jamie nodded in acknowledgment, "Is it true what she says, you helped her escape."

"Aye," answered Jamie, "And I'll suffer for doing it."

"Then stay here with the loyal king's men, and you won't have to. We're the winning side, Fraser, you Jacobites are going to lose. You're outgunned and outnumbered. England will help make Scotland stable and prosperous. And I can have the bounty removed from your head, you'll no longer be a wanted man. You can go back to your farm and no longer have to live in fear."

"I've betrayed my clan enough as it is. I was glad to be able to help your lady, but now it's time for me to face the consequences of what I've done. I thank you for your generous offer, but I have to decline."

"You're a fool, Fraser, loyal to the wrong cause. I wish you luck then, you'll need it." He turned his horse around to meet the McKenzies who had finally caught up to us. I saw him arguing furiously with Dougal, then they turned around and headed back down the road. He turned and waved to me, and I lifted my hand and waved back.

"Well, Irina, your rescuer was brave but stupid. I wonder if those Jacobites really know what they're getting into?"

"I don't think they'd believe it, even if you told them. They're dooming themselves and they won't even admit it."

He turned his horse around and we rode back to the chateau. I didn't want to go upstairs with him, I didn't want to be anywhere near him. He had a strange, angry look on his face, and I couldn't help remembering his words, "I'll turn you over my knee." I hadn't been spanked since I was a little girl and I intended to keep it that way.