Pursuit

The trees were just far enough away from the road that we blended in, but anyone who came close might see us. We had a good view of the road, and whoever it was following us would be seen before they saw us-thankfully. All the same, I wished I had a revolver like the one I kept at home. A "38" in your hand can be a tremendous confidence booster.

We dismounted and held our horses. I put my hand over Rob Rob's nostrils to keep him from making a sound. Fortunately, he didn't fight me, and stood quietly, showing his nervousness only by the swishing of his tail.

"Can you see who it is, Mary?" I asked her. She shook her head. It could be anyone, friend or foe, was the problem. Colin probably knew I was gone by now, and he would have organized a party to search for me. And if there were any British soldiers in the area, I am sure he would have enlisted their help. That included Randall, his great friend, and that thought sent a shiver down my spine. I'd grab Mary's dirk and kill myself before I let him have me.

They were close enough that we could hear them speaking. I recognized Colin's pale blond hair, and Jack Randall in his red coat and his black que hanging down his back. Worse luck, I thought. Would they search the trees, surely they could see our tracks, the tell-tale signs of shod horses. We might as well hold up a sign that said, "We are here".

I saw Jamie draw his pistol, John drew his also and held it at the ready. As part of my job I've learned to shoot ancient weapons like a bow and crossbow, but not having one did me no good now. Angus and Murtagh had drawn their guns, but we were outnumbered.

I'm not religious but I said a little prayer. Then I looked, and coming down the road from the opposite direction was a group of about twenty riders, most clad in kilts, though a couple wore English clothes. I watched as they rode up to Colin's group and began to speak to them, first in Gaelic-as if they knew that Colin was not fluent in the language--then English.

"Jamie, Mary, Irina, stay here," said John, as he, Murtagh, and Angus rode out of the little woods, and joined the new group. They outnumbered Colin's party, and made it obvious that they were not the ones outgunned. A heated argument started up, and I could tell that tempers were flaring. If things didn't calm down quickly, they were going to progress to a very unpleasant outcome.

I handed Rob Roy's reins to Mary and went as close to the edge of the woods that I dared, trying to hear what they were saying. I could see Dougal, as well as some of the Scots who were at the mound on the day I was kidnapped. I also recognized some of the men from the household that Colin had enlisted to help find me. A few of them, at least, had no love of Colin, and maybe if I needed it I could count on their sympathy.

Mary hissed softly at me, "Get back here", and I returned and took back my horse's reins.

"Help's arrived," I grinned at her, "Dougal's here, and it looks like he's got enough men to persuade Colin that the odds are against him. I don't who's going to back down, but I'd put my money on Dougal, not Colin. Colin's smart, and clever, but he doesn't have Dougal's experience. I don't think even Black Jack Randall is a match for Dougal-just from the little I've seen of him."

"Oh, ay," said Jamie, "We just have to be patient, and we'll be out of here soon and on our way. If Colin Campbell is spoiling for a fight, he won't win it, not unless he has an army with him. Even Randall will see the wisdom of giving way-this time. We need to get to Frazer lands as soon as we can, and I'm afraid that's going to mean hard riding for you, lass. Do ye think you're up to it."

"As long as I have food, the baby demands that I eat. If I start to fall asleep, someone can shake me awake and put me on the back of their saddle. I want to get to where Colin can't find me and force me to return. Number one, I don't want to, number two, I wouldn't give a brass farthing for the safety of me or my child if I'm under his tender care. I don't want him to raise my son as his own."