A Stranger on Horseback

I woke early the next morning, feeling tired as if I had not slept at all. My sleep had been restless, my dreams fitful and full of images, no dream had been whole. I had dreamt about the stone circle, La Mere, my wedding day, my flight from the seat of Clan Campbell, and Georgie's murder. No wonder I woke up feeling close to tears.

Callum was fussing and I went over to his cradle and picked him up. His nappies and nightclothes were soaked, of course, so I removed them and wrapped him in a blanket. I took him into bed with me and fed him, taking comfort from his warm little body.

He was strong, he suckled hard, greedy for my milk. I had been so worried about taking him on what would be a hard journey, but perhaps he could make it after all. I would fear for his safety if I left him behind. There were times of deprivation ahead for Scotland, and who knew if there would be enough food for anyone, man or child? What would be his fate if I did leave him with the MacKenzies? Nothing now was guaranteed.

In a few months, the fighting would begin, culminating in the dreadful loss at Culloden Moor. No, Callum would come with me, and Geillis, too, if I could convince her. The battle would be lost, no matter what, and these prideful, stubborn, pigheaded Scots would never listen to reason.

I shifted Callum from my right breast to my left, and after a little fussing, he settled down and began to nurse again. What was Claire planning to do, I wondered? Had she finally told Jamie the truth and convinced him to seek shelter in France, or anywhere, to avoid the fighting? Like any good archaeologist I had visited the site of the battle, but only to view the clan stones, and survey the field. I hadn't looked up any history of the families, English or Scot, due to lack of interest I suppose. Now I wished that I had paid a little more attention to who didn't survive on both sides.

If Georgie had lived I would have had to send him off to war, though it would have been with the likely assurance that he would come home. The Highlanders, the clans, were so sure that they could carry the day; no one would have luck convincing them otherwise. I knew about the carnage that was coming, and it made me cringe to think of it.

A knocking sounded at my door, and Geillis entered my room. Callum was full, and sleepy, after he had a short nap I would bathe and dress him. Geillie sat next to me and I laid him on her lap, and he looked at her briefly with his brown eyes, then yawned and went to sleep.

"Do you know what you're going to do?" she asked me as she gently rubbed his tummy. "You've got to make your mind up and make it soon. We've only a few months left."

"I'm leaving." The words came out of my mouth almost before I realized it. "And I want you to come with me. You don't have to stay in Scotland, we can get you some documents and a new passport that will say you're from anywhere but here. You can come to Egypt with me, to America if you want. I have friends, I can help you find work. Those crimes you've been convicted of aren't serious enough to follow you out of the country. You can make a new life for yourself."

"But what if I'm needed here? Maybe there's still a chance..."

"But Geillis, there is no chance, and you know it. The Scots are doomed, Culloden will seal their fate. You know what will follow, hardship and famine. The English overlords will show no mercy, they'll be dead set on punishing the rebels. The Scotland you love will cease to exist."

"Come with me, Egypt will amaze you. We'll stay through the digging season, then we'll go to Chicago. I have a lot of rich, male, professor friends—good looking ones. With your looks, you'll land a husband, if you want, who will let you live in style. And wait until you see the parties we have. Don't stay here, come with me instead."