Chapter 6: Masquerade of Deceit

The sleek black limo screeched to a halt outside of the plain but official looking headquarters of the council.

'I thought we were meant to be discreet' The male guardian of truth, Ned tutted to his wife. His attire matched the colors of the celestial realm's hues, it was extraordinary and something about definitely didn't seem human. Though weathered by age and experience, he was a tall and muscled man with tanned crinkled skin, his salt and peppered hair gelled back, bread neatly trimmed and his spectacles sitting slightly lopsided on his nose.

'A limo is discreet, it'll help the kids blend in. And besides it's their first mission meaning everything must be on point, I mean don't you kids just love your ensembles?

She beamed at the heroes expectantly, and they all nodded back honestly, gratitude and sincerity in their eyes.

Kwame's tailored tuxedo spoke of sophistication, Sofia's gown shimmered like ethereal light, and Liam's attire hinted at a readiness for revelations to come.

Amara's dress echoed crimson tales of strength, Rumi's ensemble whispered of enigmatic charm, and Finn's attire masked astute observations with nonchalant elegance.

Jolene, the female guardian of truth returned her gaze to her husband and he just sighed defeatedly with a small smile on his face. Her attire like Ned's seemed extraordinary, it shimmered with celestial light. She too was muscled though she looked softer due to her curves. Her hair was in locks that were put into a neat updo and despite her dark wrinkled skin her smile was bright and reflected many triumphs.

A silent alarm buzzed on Ned's pone and he quickly silenced it.

He cleared his throat and spoke in his slow baritone voice '7 o'clock'

'Right then' Jolene said her soothing but firm voice said 'Keep your phones on you at all times but put them on silent and remember that though these masquerade masks conceal your real identities you can't make eye contact with anyone for too long otherwise the charm fades and you'll be exposed. We'll be right around the corner if you need anything.

'Any questions' she said

'Actually- Kwame started but in the blink of an eye they were no longer in the car but at the entrance of the building and the car had already sped away, leaving no sign that it had even been here before.

The six teens, exchanged glances before stepping into the gathering, seamlessly blending into the glamour of the council gala.

As they mingled, hushed conversations slipped through the air—a coded language of conspiracy whispered amongst the council members.

Within a secluded corner, the mayor and his council confidants exchanged veiled words.

"The potion is taking effect, clouding their minds," the mayor murmured, his voice tinged with a sinister edge.

"The townsfolk remain unaware, entangled in the web we've woven," one council member chimed in, a hint of satisfaction in his tone.

"We must ensure the boy remains under the spell," another added, nodding toward the mayor's son across the hall.

Meanwhile, Liam's vigilant gaze attracted a suave gentleman's attention, an agent of the mayor's clandestine schemes fixated on Amara.

"Care for a dance, mademoiselle?" the stranger inquired, his charming smile masking ulterior motives.

Liam interjected, a touch of concern veiled in his voice, "I'm afraid the lady is engaged."

The stranger's smile wavered, suspicion glinting in his eyes. "A pity," he remarked, his tone laden with hidden implications.