Mistakes Happen

I've been a student at the academy for a while now but I recently started teaching and it's certainly been keeping me busy. Being on this side of things, I really have a new appreciation for teachers. They make it look effortless when it is anything but. I owe a lot of my success to Delia, however.

She makes sure my head stays on straight and that I don't overwork myself. Which is exactly why, when I go to search for her in her office where she usually is, I'm surprised not to find her. I figure she must be up to something important so I decide to leave her be. I finish marking some papers and start on a few new lesson plans, getting things in order for the next week.

When lunchtime rolls around I head to the kitchen to see what I can find and I greet all the girls. As I'm looking through the fridge, it occurs to me that I still have yet to see my girlfriend. In fact, I haven't heard a peep from her since breakfast. This happens sometimes but by lunch her arms are wrapped around my waist so this is odd.

"Hey, Zo?" I call out and she peeks her head around the corner, raising her eyebrows questioningly. "Do you happen to know where Cordelia is?" I ask and she furrows her eyebrows in thought, "last time I heard she was going to the greenhouse" she answers. I smile and thank her, making my way through the backyard as I wonder what she could be doing.

I know how much she loves plants, so much so that this should've been my first assumption. I've often found her in her fiddling with various plants and mixing herbs for tea or potions. Her look of concentration is my favorite as she unknowingly holds her tongue between her teeth or bites her lip. The pure serenity on her face when she's done for the day brings me great joy.

The door is cracked open and just before I push it open I begin to hear giggles. I pause in my tracks, placing my ear closer to the door. "We make a great team" I hear, followed by the sound of what I assume to be a high five. I'd know that voice anywhere, it's Misty. An immediate frown forms on my face at the thought of the blonde.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's great and all but her presence bothers me; especially when she's so close to Cordelia. I'm not typically the jealous type but I can see the way she looks at my girlfriend. Delia may be oblivious but I know that look very well. So when I push open the door to find the blonde pressed against the table with Misty's hands on her waist, my heart shatters.

Suddenly I'm in my room and I curse to myself quietly. Anytime my emotions flare up, I typically end up in my nearest safe place. Sometimes it's a bathroom if I'm in public but if I'm home it's always the bedroom. Yet, as I stand in our room, I don't quite feel as comforted as usual. I don't take much time to think, I start gathering clothes for the week and little things I know I'll need.

As I'm finishing up and about to leave, Cordelia enters the room. I don't meet her gaze, knowing I'll have a hard time controlling my emotions. "What are you doing?" she asks softly and I can't believe how she can be so calm right now. "I'm going to my room" I answer as I try to remain calm because, in place of where I thought I'd be sad, I'm beginning to get angry.

"What do you mean? This is your room — our room" I sigh deeply as I try to walk past her but she stops me, "where are you going? Tell me what's going on" she demands and I roll my eyes. "Let me go" I mutter, "no. Not until you explain to me why you won't be sleeping in our bed" she asserts and I sigh deeply. "Misty. Ring a bell?" I scoff and her eyebrows furrow in response which only agitates me further.

"Fine. Since you'd like to play dumb, I saw you kissing her" I state and her eyes widen in shock, "yeah. Now if you'll excuse me" I try to move past her again but she doesn't let me. "Listen. I did not kiss her" she states firmly, "I know what I saw" I reply as I try to push past her. "Baby, please I-" "don't call me that" I mutter as I try to keep it together.