She's Here

"SWEETHEART" I cover my ears as Audrey yells for me, once she's done, I tap her shoulder and she blushes seeing that I was right behind her the whole time. "Sorry" she whispers and I just chuckle, plopping down next to her. She opens her arms and I scoot closer, allowing her to lay her head on my chest.

She's grown more clingy as the due date approaches and it's the sweetest thing. "I thought you left" she mumbles in reference to me saying I'd go shopping since we don't have many groceries left. "I plan to later" I inform her and she nods, moving even closer to me and holding me tighter. "I think she's coming soon" she whispers, "why do you say that? Just a feeling?" I inquire.

"Yeah, I've also been having Braxton-Hicks" she groans, and I rub her head as I pout. I'm actually surprised by how calm she is talking about it because I know the false contractions can be alarming. "How often?" I ask her, "not mu-" she stops and takes a sharp inhale with her hand placed on her tummy. "Are you ok, baby?" I ask concerned, "me baby or the baby baby?" she teases and I roll my eyes playfully.

"You baby" I say swirling my finger before booping her nose which makes her giggle. "Yeah that was just another one- oh" she winces and I start to frown, questioning whether these are just false contractions after all. I place my hand on her belly, just rubbing in soothing circles and she sighs. "Take deep breaths for me" I instruct and she listens as I move my hand over the bump, feeling for any signs.

It takes a while but then I feel her muscles contract, hardening under my finger tips. It stays that way for quite a bit before they soften. "I'll be right back, ok?" I say calmly and she furrows her eyebrows but nods. I quickly but calmly make my way to Billie's office where she's been working for the past two hours. I knock softly and hear her mumble 'come in'.

I close the door gently behind me so it doesn't make a sound and head over to her desk. "Howard" I say and her eyes shoot up and she eyes me curiously, I never call her that unless it's very serious. "Hughes" she counters, "not to freak you out but uhhh I think the baby's coming" I mumble and her eyes fly wide open. "What?! Why would you- how do you know?" she fires rapidly, "well she told me she's been having the false contractions and I felt her belly... I don't think they're fake" I explain.

"Did you say anything to her?" she asks, "I wanted to run it by you first so we could both be there versus me having to brief you after freaking her out" I explain and she nods. "Let's go then" the blonde says, gathering her things and leaving the room with me. We find Audrey on the couch and she immediately turns around hearing our footsteps with a grimace on her face.

"Guys... uhhh" she says shakily, "we know, darling. I'll help you up" Billie says rushing over as I grab the keys. "I wet the couch" she whines, "don't you worry about that. I'll clean it" I assure her and she nods with a nervous expression. "It hurts" she whispers as she passes through the open door, "I know, baby. It'll be ok" I reassure her.

We get her in the backseat and Billie sits with her while I drive. I meet eyes with the medium in the backseat and we both nod to each other. We'd gone over this a while ago, figured out the game plan. The baby bag and stroller has stayed in the trunk for about two weeks now. I'm the designated driver because I drive the fastest, while still of course being safe, and we both know she'd want to be out the car as soon as possible.

Being enclosed will only worry her more, having a baby in the car with no professionals near by... not fun. "Ughhh" the actress groans and my foot presses more on the gas as I speed through the yellow light. "We're almost there, honey" I tell her and she just groans in response, I look at Billie and she shakes her head which makes me narrow my eyes.

"I- I think... baby... coming..." Audrey pants and I meet the mediums eyes again and she grimaces, eyes wide with fear. "Check her cervix" I say, "what?" Billie asks frantically and god I can't drive AND be there for the actress. I allow myself to come to a red light, throwing the car in park and snatching off my seatbelt. I can't really sterilize my hands but I remember I have gloves in the glove box simply because I thought it was weird to not have them in a container named for them?