CHAPTER THREE

ᝰ.ᐟ CHAPTER THREE:
So... He's Technically Not Allowed To Be Alive.

 He's Technically Not Allowed To Be Alive

               "THE FIRST TEAM to retrieve the opposing flag and return it across the river shall be the victor," Chiron announced, standing on a large boulder at the edge of the river

Clarrise's team, the red team, stood in front of us, looking as menacing and aggressive as ever. They hadn't won Capture the Flag in two years since Annabeth and I became in charge of the blue team, and today, it would become three years. At least I hoped. Annabeth had explained to me her plan yesterday, and I was confident it would go perfectly.

Chiron continued, "As always, there will be no maiming and no killing. I trust these rules will be respected. Any magical items you may possess are permitted as well."

I smirked, raising a hand to run a finger over my golden necklace. The point of the arrow charm was sharp on my thumb.

"Every camper who is not injured has to play. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged," he said. And finally, one final call. "Let the games begin!"

The conch shell blew, and the red team stood, battle cries spilling from their mouths. They were intimidating, sure, but we had the brains.

The blue team clanged their spears against their shields. "Huh!" we shouted. Annabeth and I walked up to the rest of the team.

"All right," she said, catching Luke's attention. "We have 20 minutes before the second conch and game-on. You know what you're doing?"

Luke nodded. "Yes, ma'am." He started to walk away before Annabeth halted him.

"Hey. Today feel like a winning kind of day to you?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said, before turning to me. "I'll see you on the other side." I nodded, and Annabeth handed me her hat.

"You lose this, and I will kill you. Got it, Val?" she said. I gave her a firm nod. She walked up next to look.