Ch11 - Friends

Ashe's POV

You didn’t mind having been left alone with Farm when his brother retreated into the little house in search of a hat for you. The sans variant definitely lived up to his lazy title, not moving from his position on the creaky rocking chair, his gaze upon you seeming rather sleepy.

There was the familiar feeling of a CHECK washing over you, a second time it seemed, though for whatever reason, Papy glared at him from your side as though he were personally offended by the action. You gave him a warning look when he went to speak, already knowing your brother well enough that he was going to suggest you stab Farm, and Papy simply rolled his eyes.

“...What’s up with yer check?” Farm said softly.

You tilted your head in confusion, not quite understanding what it was he has been asking. ‘What do you mean?’

“Eh. Nevermind,” he said with a casual shrug. “Anyway. Jus’ a word of advice. Ya seem like a nice fella n’ all, but if yer plannin ta try an’ hurt my bro, yer gonna be in for a real bad time,” he let out in a low voice.

You simply nodded, unbothered by the threat. ‘I promise I have no intention of harming you or your brother. The only time I would fight would be to protect myself or those I care about,’ you tried to reassure.

Strangely, you could feel the weight of your words when you promised, as though your words were eliciting magic. Was that the power of the judge? Did you have a judge? What would happen if you were to break a promise? You had no intention of doing that, so you decided to ignore that train of thought for now.

“Alright,” he let out in response to your promise. He seemed a lot more reassured by your words. “So why are yer really here? Surely it ain’t just ta explore?” he asked, although his tone seemed far more curious than it did accusing.

‘I really do just want to see new places and meet new people. The multiverse is a big place, and I want to visit as many worlds as I can, even if only briefly.’

He stared at you for a long moment, and briefly, you wondered if perhaps he was trying to determine if you were lying, likely even using his own judge to be certain of your honesty. He must have been satisfied though as he relaxed, the small amount of tension in his shoulders disappearing.

“Well, yer an interesting one, Ashe. I trust ya. As long as yer don mean harm, yer welcome ta stay as long as ya like. Even got a spare room if ya need it.”

Thankyou, Mr Farm, I really appreciate it.

“Ya can just call me Farm, no need fer that fancy ‘mister’ stuff,” he chuckled.

The both of you turned to the sound of thumping footsteps and the door slamming open. Now equipped with an obnoxiously large straw hat, Crop bounded his way over to you, grinning. “HERE YER GO! TA KEEP TH SUN OFF YER SKULL!”

You signed a quick ‘Thankyou Mr Crop’ and took the hat from his outstretched hands, placing it gently atop your head. The contact of your hat against the skull wound blossomed a pain intense enough your eyes watered. Was the wound really so bad that even a hat worsened it?

“OH, IS IT UNCOMFORTABLE? JUST USE YER HOOD THEN, NEW FRIEND ASHE, YA DON HAVE TA WEAR IT IF YA DON WANT TA,” he chimed out, already taking the hat back before you could even consider arguing.

Sorry Mr Crop,’ you signed apologetically, adjusting your hood after a moment. He didn’t know about the wound, and you didn’t really plan to share it, but you still felt bad.

“NO NEED TA BE SORRY FER DISLIKIN SOMETHING! NOW, ONTO TH CHICK’NS!” he then turned to Farm with a glare that seemed more playful than frustrated. “AND YER GONNA HELP, FARM, YA CAN’T JUST SLEEP ALL DAY!”

Farm chuckled and followed the both of you to the barn, looking half asleep as he did so. 

“BROTHER, THAT FARM SANS TRIED TO CHECK US. ARE YOU NOT UPSET AT IT?” Ghost Papy asked. You merely shook your head slightly, not wanting to be seen as unstable for communicating to somebody nobody else could see. “SO YOU DON’T PLAN TO STAB THEM?”

Papy, no, you don’t stab friends!’

“NYEH?” Crop let out questioningly, causing you to internally sigh.

Sorry! No! Not you, Mr Crop! I was talking to my brother!’ You begun to explain. ‘He tends to be pretty talkative, but most people can’t see him because he is a ghost.’

He seemed a bit confused, at first, but then nodded. “OH! I SEE! WELL, HELLO GHOST PAPYRUS, WHEREVER YOU ARE!” He let out, looking around the room distantly. Farm was looking awfully confused, but didn’t contribute to the discussion.

“NYEH HEH HEH! HELLO TO YOU TOO—WAIT, HE CAN’T HEAR ME, CAN HE?”

You giggled. ‘No, Papy, he can’t hear you, but I’m sure he appreciates you saying hello,’ you signed, then turned to Crop. ‘Papy says hello.’

“YER BROTHER MUST LIKE YER A LOT IF HIS GHOST IS STAYIN WITH YA STILL! I HOPE HE DOESN GET JELOUS OF ME HANGING OUT WITH YA!”

“WHY WOULD I GET JEALOUS? I LOVE MY BROTHER HAVING SOME FRIENDS! STARS KNOWS YOU NEED TO BE MORE SOCIAL, ASHE.”

You blushed a bit at the qccusation of not being social. ‘Ghost Papy says that he’s not jealous because he thinks I need more friends.’

“THEN YER BROTHER IS A GOOD ONE!”

“...What happened to yer bro ta make him a ghost?” You stopped walking for a moment, hesitating a little. “Did ya kill everyone in yer underground like Dust did?”

You nodded. ‘I don’t really remember it, but I think I thought it was the only way to stop the endless cycle of suffering. I have made a lot of mistakes, but I’m learning from them and doing what I can to be a better person.'

Farm nodded. “I s’pose sometimes good folk do bad things. Ya definitely don seem so bad...”

“YA DON HAVE TA WORRY, FRIEN' ASHE. I KNOW YER CAPABLE OF GOOD THINGS IF YER TRY. I BELIEVE IN YA!”

Farm sort of shuffled a bit and nodded. “I believe in ya too, fer what its worth.”