Homecoming

Pete already cooked breakfast when I got down the kitchen, I was so surprised because he doesn't always cook breakfast. "Don't you have work today?" I asked.

"Sweetie, it's a sunday." He replied.

"Yeah, I know that. But you work on sundays, right?" I asked, looking at him with suspicion.

"Yeah, well, I kinda took a day off." He replied, grabbing the coffee pot and poured me some hot coffee.

"That's awesome!" I said in total excitement. "So, you'll be able to accompany me later on the homecoming thing?" I asked.

"Absolutely." He said.

"You're the greatest." I said. He was a little different these past few days, in a good way. I'm liking the new Peter.

-

"So, are you bringing Jim?" I asked Jazz.

"Yup. How 'bout Pete? Is he coming?" She asked.

"Yeah, he took a day off so yep, he'll be there." I assured her.

"Great, well, I'll see you later, sweetheart. Love you." Jazz said. "You're burning the scallops!!! Damn it!!"

"Sorry?" I asked.

"Oh, gotta go sweetie, this new guy is driving me crazy he can't even cook." She said and dropped the call. Busy girl, I thought to myself.

As soon as I placed my phone on the bedside table, Pete came rushing in inside the room.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Something's came up at the office, I won't be able to come with you anymore, I'm so sorry." He said. He was very fast saying those words.

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"Listen, I'll make it up to you, okay?" He said, holding my hands, trying to calm me down.

"It's fine, really." I said.

He planted a gentle kiss on my forehead. "I'll see you later, enjoy." With that he was gone.

Oh, well.

-

7 pm

I was almost down with my make-up when Jazz called me again.

"Hello?"

"8:30, okay?" She said.

"Yes, I'll be there okay?" I said.

"Okay, okay, see you!" And then she ended the call.

That girl, always with the short calls. Gosh, I missed her.

7:30 pm

I decided to have a cigarette to kill some time, I didn't want to be there on time, I'm pretty sure everyone's going to be late.

One cigarette became two and before I know it, I finished my pack. I looked at my wrist watch and it was already 8:45. "Shit!"

I need at least an hour to drive to the school. I am so late.

10 pm

I tossed my keys inside my purse, looked at my car's window and fixed myself.

I sneaked into the room, lot's of people were there, I searched for Jazz, fortunately she found me first.

"You're late." She said. "Really late."

"Lost track of time, sorry." I said.

"Come here you!! I've missed you!" She wrapped my hands around me like I'm a soft pillow.

"I've missed you too but you're ruining my dress!!!" I said.

"Shut up!" She said and slapped my shoulders.

"Ow!" As I was rubbing my shoulders, I saw a very familiar face from the corner of my eye, It was only a glimpse but I knew who he was, I wouldn't forget how he looked like after all these years.

"Look!" I said to Jazz.

"What?" She was puzzled.

I pointed at his direction and Jazz followed with her head. "Holy shit!" I silently screamed if that is even possible.

There he was.
There he really is.

Before I could even hide myself, He caught my eyes. Shit. He squinted his eyes and realized that it was really me he is seeing. He excused himself with the people he was talking to and seemed to be walking towards me.

"Shit, Jazz." My eyes were on him but I was tapping Jazz's shoulders like a drum.

"Calm down." Jazz whispered.

Fuck it.

"Hey!!!" His arms were wide open and I guess he was expecting a hug.

It took me five seconds to finally hug him. "Hey."

Jazz also said her hello to Andrew.

"How are you guys?" He said. He seemed so giddy and excited.

"Well, I'm good. How are you, Andrew?" Jazz said as she giggles. "It's so cool that I'm calling you Andrew because I am a grown up now!"

"Seems surreal right?" Andrew agreed. "How about you, Karen?" He turned to me. I was hoping they'd talk some more so he wouldn't talk to me.

"I'm great." I said. Little by little, the feelings I had for him slowly grew back. I don't know if they were ever gone.

Jazz excused herself and allowed us to be alone.

"You know what's weird?" He asked.

I asked him with my eyes.

"You didn't reply to my emails and messages. Not one. Why was that?" He asked.

Honestly, I wanted to but I know I shouldn't. It would just make it more hard for me to fall out of love for him.

"Yeah, that. I got so busy with college and work at the same time." I lied.

"Oh. Well, I really missed you. I didn't know how to reach you when you weren't replying. I've been meaning to get together with you." He said.

It all sounded so fast and surreal like I was just dreaming.

"Oh. Heh. Uhm, well, here I am." I nervously replied.

"Yes you are." I could feel his eyes moving over my body and it was weird. I used to do the same to him before and now he's the one doing it. Weird right?

We stood there. Nobody talked. Everything was silent for ten seconds.

"You look stunning. By the way."

My body froze. I began to sweat. I couldn't look back at him. Did he really just said that I looked stunning?

"What? Heh. What?" Good reply, Karen.

He smiled. He knew I was blushing. "You look amazing."

I gathered myself and gave him a decent reply. "Thank you. You look great as well."

He fixed his tux which really turned me on. His hair was on point. He still smells the same which was good. He didn't change much. "So, uh are you seeing anyone right now?"

Fuck. I knew a lot of questions would be asked tonight but I didn't know that one would come up. Fuck. I've been waiting for this for like forever. I know what's right and that is to say yes. But the teenager in me says to say no and experience what it's like to have someone like him by my side. He was the the love of my life, he still is. This is so difficult. I'm in love with Pete, no doubt about that, but Andrew is someone I could just never forget and let go.

"No." I just said it. "I'm not seeing anyone right now."

~

Finally. An update.

I am so sorry that this took so long.

Hope you like it!