Chapter 1: Lucas Ketchum

Two boys are having a Pokemon battle in the yard behind Professor Oak's lab, while another boy acts as the referee. If Pokemon fans were to glance at these boys they would instantly recognise the battlers as Ash Ketchum, the eventual world champion and his greatest rival, the grandson of Professor Oak, Gary. But the fans wouldn't recognise the boy refereeing the battle. He has stark silver hair, hanging in a crudely cut bang over his right eye with a dark blue jacket with red outlining and lighter blue trousers. The boy's eyes also show maturity beyond his age. In the field many pokemon are resting while the two boys stand with two pokemon between them- a Charmander and a Squirtle. "Charmander, use Ember!" Ash commanded, starting the battle. Charmander opened its mouth, sending bits of fire at the Squirtle. "Counter with Bubble Beam!" Gary ordered, countering the move accordingly as the attacks collided. The water bubbles proved stronger however as they smashed through the ember, striking Charmander. Charmander fell back, body covered in scratches from the damage. "Charmander! Are you okay?" Ash asked in concern. "Char, Char, Charmander," Charmander replied, showing he was okay as he stood with some difficulty. "Charmander, use Scratch," Ash decided, seeing that ember was not working.. Charmander, hearing the command charged in to use Scratch on Squirtle. "Seeing this, Gary simply ordered, "Bubble Beam." Squirtle opened its mouth and open fired, sending the bubbles straight at Charmander. "Quick Charmander, dodge it!" Ash reacted as Charmander tried to dodge, only to be struck by a horde of bubbles, knocking it over. Charmander falls to the ground, clearly unconscious with circles in its eyes.

"Charmander is unable to continue. Therefore Gary wins the match," the boy acting as referee declared, raising his hand on Gary's side, causing Gary to smirk cockily. "Quick Lucas, heal Charmander," Ash asked the now named Lucas, concerned for Charmander. Lucas quickly walks over to the fire lizard, pulling out a few sprays and ointments, applying them to Charmander. After a few seconds Charmander wakes up, causing Ash to sigh in relief, Lucas and Gary also pleased. "Hahaha, Ash, now you've lost more than fifteen times to me," Gary told his rival with the same cocky smirk. "Huh, that was luck. Next time I will win and beat Squirtle for sure," Ash declared. "No, never in my dreams would I lose to an idiot like you," Gary replied confidently. "You probably will lose Ash," Lucas added, siding with Gary. "What, you too Lucas? Does no one believe in me?" Ash asked, his face covered in clear disbelief. "Ash, you still don't understand type advantages, do you?" Lucas asked Ash.. "Type advantages? Do Pokemon still have types?" Ash asked with complete idiocy as Gary sweatdropped, Lucas shaking his head in annoyance. "Haha! Ash, you still don't know about Pokemon types after working at gramps lab? How dumb are you?" Gary asked after he got back up, laughing at Ash. "Ash, you lost to Gary so many times because of type advantage, though you did win three times thanks to luck. Listen carefully Ash, in your first battle you used Bulbasaur while Gary used Charmander, so you lost because fire types have a natural advantage over grass types. In every battle you had Gary choose pokemon with a type advantage over yours, which is exactly why you lost every time," Lucas explained carefully. "Got it, I should learn type advantages before battling anyone else. With that I can easily beat you, Gary!" Ash declared confidently. "Even without a type advantage I would win against you," Gary replied confidently. "Then let's battle without type advantage next time!" Ash suggested. 'Though you will later win many battles regardless of type disadvantages, Ash. You even sometimes used that disadvantage as your strategy. So I'll do the same,' Lucas thought with a small smile. "Alright, let's finish what we need to do everyone," Gary said, pulling Lucas out of his thoughts.

Lucas Ketchum is a nine year old boy with the mind of a sixteen year old. Lucas was an ordinary, though intelligent, person in his old world who loved Pokemon battles and wished he had been born in the Pokemon world. His wish was granted though when he died saving the life of a child about to be run over by a truck. Now he was the older brother of Ash Ketchum. Lucas wanted to start learning about Pokemon right from birth. Types, abilities, appearance and anything else unique about them. But he couldn't do that as a newborn. So when he turned six years old he started coming to Professor Oak's lab daily to learn about Pokemon and help take care of them. Seeing Lucas' interest, Professor Oak was pleased and happily agreed to teach the child more about Pokemon and even watch him perform his research. Seeing Lucas, Gary and Ash also started coming to the lab daily to play with and learn about the Pokemon. Seeing this, Oak had tasked the three boys with feeding some of the Pokemon they played with and Lucas had learnt many things in those three years, such as basic medical application, Pokemon's reaction to different foods and more. "Here's your food guys," Ash told the ranch pokemon as he poured the pokemon food out into huge bowls. Seeing this, the pokemon in the yard quickly ran over, clearly happy. "Lucas, can you teach me about type advantages?" Ash asked his big brother. "Sure I can," Lucas told his brother. "Hear that Garry? You better watch out 'cause I won't let you have the type advantage next time!" Ash confidently told his rival. "What if my starter has a type advantage against your pokemon though?" Garry asked Ash. The trio were still only nine years old and wouldn't be receiving a starter from the Professor for a few more months at least. "Hah, that won't be possible," Ash argued. "Remember, my gramps hands out the starters, so I can take a starter with a type advantage against yours," Gary smugly reminded Ash. "Well then I'll still beat you, even with a starter with a type disadvantage," Ash replied as the pair continued to argue, Lucas ignoring their bickering as he thought about the future.