Chapter 11: Lucas And Ash Go There Separate Ways

Lucas quickly continued through Pewter City after leaving the Gym, calling Ria to try and find Ash. She simply told him that she was with Ash at the lake near Pewter.

"I will teach you how to train your Pikachu in order to beat Brock," An elderly man told Ash beside the lake. "Thank you. We'll work hard," Ash swore, agreeing to the training. "Pika," Pikachu added in agreement, wanting to beat Geodude. "Can you really..." Misty started to say something but was cut off by Lucas as he arrived, saying, "There you are Ash." "Did you win your battle?" Ash asked, clearly thinking about something. "Yep. Golisopod and I managed to beat Brock's Geodude and Onix," Lucas replied, holding up the badge. "So that's the Boulder Badge. I'll be getting it soon once I'm ready to rechallenge Brock," Ash declared, determined. "Is that Brock's father?" Lucas wondered to himself, seeing the elderly man next to Ash. "Lucas, I've decided something. I think you should keep going forward," Ash told his brother. "What do you mean?" Lucas asked, confused. "I'm going to be here for a while training to beat Brock," Ash explained, "Staying here will waste your time. I don't want to become dependent on you. Besides, I know you and Lucario want to go somewhere important. You're not as quiet as you think." "Okay then, but I have some advice before I leave," Lucas said, digging out his pokedex to show Ash. "What is it?" Ash asked, impatient to start training. He didn't want to fall further behind Gary. "Pikaa," Pikachu said, also looking for Lucas' advice. "Here. Teach Pidgeotto and Pikachu these two moves," Lucas recommended, showing Ash the moves Iron Tail and Steel Wing. "Iron Tail and Steel Wing," Ash mused, looking over the pokedex. "Those are good options, kid. Steel type moves like those are super effective against Rock type pokemon," The elderly man agreed, impressed. "Cool. Pikachu, you're gonna learn Iron Tail. Pidgeotto, you're going to learn Steel Wing," Ash told his pokemon who both gave cries of understanding. Lucas then picked up his bag, preparing to head off on his own. Ria and Misty had already discussed Ash's idea with him, and had agreed they would be staying with him as Ash needed their aid more than Lucas. Lucas was glad the pair agreed to stay with Ash as Misty would be able to help Ash with any problems he had with his behaviour while Ria would be able to take care of Ash's pokemon if Brock didn't join him like in the anime. "Well, I'm off," Lucas said, waving to the trio and the old man as he headed off down Route Two to continue his journey.. "Safe travels!" Ria yelled after him. "Good luck, big bro! I'll be sure to win our next battle!" Ash yelled after him, causing Lucas to chuckle in amusement as he headed off. "Well, you know where we're going now Lucario," Lucas said, earning a growl of agreement from Lucario, "Tower of Mastery, here we come!"

2 Months Later

"Well, we're here," Lucas murmured, pleased as Lucario growled in agreement, looking excited as the pair gazed across the water to the Tower of Mastery. After separating from Ash and the others Lucas had managed to buy a cheap ticket on a boat to reach Kalos two weeks prior before they travelled across the region from Lumiose as fast as possible to reach Shalour City. And hopefully soon they would have the Lucarionite if they could convince Gurkin to help them.

"Cario?" Lucario wondered, looking up at Lucas, confused by the lack of a bridge or other path to reach the island. "Wondering why there's no bridge out to the island?" Lucas asked, getting a nod in reply, "Those who seek power, show your heart, and the path shall reveal itself." "Quite right, young man," An elderly voice replied with a slight chuckle as he walked over, "Here to challenge the Shalour City Gym? I'm afraid you'll have to wait, the only way across to the island is to wait until the tide goes out." "That's alright. Those with the desire to battle must wait patiently," Lucas said calmly, Lucario nodding in agreement as the man raised one of his extremely long eyebrows, impressed, "Besides, Lucario and I have actually come for another reason, Gym Leader Gherkin. It's about Lucarionite." "Lucarionite?" Gherkin repeated, a small smile appearing on his face, "Hmm, I see. You seem like a clever young man, and Lucario seems well trained. Very well, when the water recedes we will head over to the Gym. Then we will see if you both are ready to gain the power of Mega Evolution."