Chapter 13: Ash Vs Lucas - In A League Of Their Own

"Mom! Professor Oak!" Ash yelled from where he, Brock and Misty were sitting in the pokemon centre waiting for their pokemon to heal, spotting the pair. Ash quickly got up and ran over, Delia pulling him into a tight hug. "What are you doing here?" Ash asked. "We're here to cheer you and Lucas on, of course," Oak replied with a pleased smile, "I'm very happy to see both of you doing so well!" "And you want to learn about that new form of Mega Evolution?" Ash added as Oak chuckled sheepishly in agreement. "Well, I'm not the only one," Oak said, becoming happy again, "In fact, he's coming over just now." "Gherkin," Ash said, recognising the man, "Nice to see you again." "Good to see you as well, Ash. And you must be Brock and Misty," Gherkin said, smiling at his friends, "Ash talked about you a lot while learning with Mable and I." "Nice to meet you," Misty replied, "Eh, no offence, but is your name really Gherkin?" "Yes, but I'm better known as the Mega Evolution Guru," Gherkin said proudly, "I'm looking forward to your match, Ash, so make sure to give it everything you have. I want to see some honest to goodness battling out there." "Got it!" Ash agreed happily, "I won't disappoint!" "Excellent," Gherkin replied, "Now, where is Lucas?"

"Right here," Lucas said, walking over with a tablet under his arm, "Good to see you, Gherkin. You too, mom, Professor." "Oh, good to see you too, dear," Delia replied, hugging him, "I'm so proud of you and your brother." "Thanks, mom," Lucas said, smiling at her, "I assume you and the Professor are here to learn about what Lucario could do, Gherkin? Well, you're in luck. I just found this a few days ago regarding Lucario's powers." "You did?" Gherkin repeated, interested, "What did you find?" "I was looking at this old manuscript," Lucas replied, putting the tablet on the table, which had a picture of a weathered piece of cloth covered in strange symbols and a picture of a person and a humanoid shape - clearly a pokemon, "And I found it. It's not actually Mega Evolution, but something known as the Bond Phenomenon." "The Bond Phenomenon?" Oak repeated, curious. "Here's what it says. It's a rare phenomenon that occurs between trainer and pokemon, when the bond of trust between them grows. In addition, it seems the pokemon's latent skills matter too, so it's not something that can happen with every pokemon," Lucas added. "Then that means your Lucario is special, doesn't it, bro?" Ash asked, shocked. "That's right. The manuscript also states that Pokemon capable of the Bond Phenomenon are often aware of their many latent skills all along. They often know which trainer will be able to draw out their true power, so the meetings between them are truly 'meant to be'," Lucas explained. "Wow..." Ash murmured, awed as everyone else looked at the manuscript in curiosity.

"Lucario, Aura Sphere!" Lucas commanded, his Lucario firing the energy at the wall and forming a large dust cloud as the door opened behind them. "Congratulations on making it to the next round," Agatha, a member of the Kanto Elite Four, told Lucas mockingly as she came into the room where he and Lucario were training. The woman had been bitter to the pair ever since Lucas and Lucario had managed to defeat her most powerful pokemon Gengar. "I guess winning will be easy for someone like you," She added, still clearly mocking him. "Don't bother me right now. I'm fine tuning," Lucas replied coldly, Lucario barking in agreement, glaring at the woman briefly as the pair turned away from her. "I'm sure. I'm not surprised to see you at the Indigo League. Knowing that you want to become the strongest trainer of all I guess that would make sense," Agatha replied mockingly. "Becoming the world's strongest trainer has nothing to do with this," Lucas replied, "I want... to battle him. That's all." "Are you talking about Ash? You're giving your brother so much attention, he should really be flattered," Agatha mocked. "Enough! My family is none of your business," Lucas told her warningly, causing Agatha to cackle slightly in amusement. "Yes, you're right," Agatha agreed mockingly, turning and leaving the room, "See you later, Lucas." "I certainly hope not," Lucas replied, disgusted as Lucario growled in annoyed agreement, "Come on, we still have more to do." "Car," Lucario agreed as they went back to finishing their training.