Chapter 7: The Journey Begins

After a few more months the time had come for Ash, Gary, Lucas and Ria to begin their journeys. This time had been spent training by all three boys, though Gary trained back at the ranch while Lucas and Ash each took a part of the forest to train in. In that time Ash had taught Pikachu Thunderbolt after it mastered Quick Attack, while also training his speed and attack strength. Lucas on the other hand had focused almost entirely on Lucario's aura, trying to perfect his starter's control as much as possible after he had learned Aura Sphere a month prior. The two had even battled a few times, though Ash had never won, much to the younger boy's annoyance.

In The Professor's Lab

The group are now standing together in the Professor's lab to receive their pokedexes. Ash is wearing his signature blue and white jacket, blue jeans, blue shoes and green gloves, with his trusty red and white trucker cap on his head, Pikachu sitting happily on his shoulder. Lucas is wearing his dark blue jacket with red outlining, blue trousers and sturdy black hiking boots, hair hanging over his left eye in a roughly cut bang, Lucario by his side. Gary's wearing a black jacket with red trim, a black t-shirt, and dark blue jeans. Ria is wearing a blue tunic over beige cargo pants, knee high boots and a wide brimmed hat. Eeevee is sitting by her side. Everyone also has a belt or bag to carry the equipment and pokeballs they will need for their journey. All the other trainers there were wearing their own outfits. "Excellent, you are all here to begin your journeys," Oak said, a pleased smile on his face as he surveyed the crowd of starting trainers. Oak then explained the many challenges they would face on their journeys before passing out the trainer's pokedexes and starters. All the other trainers had not been allowed to receive their starters earlier.

"Pikachu, the Mouse Pokemon. An electric type. Pikachu can store electricity in their red cheek pouches, which they release if threatened. Male and Female Pikachu have different shaped tails," Ash's pokedex explained as it finished scanning Pikachu. "Pika, Pikachu," Pikachu replied, clearly excited to be leaving. "Lucario, the Aura Pokemon, and the evolved form of Riolu. Lucario can concentrate its mental energy into a mysterious wave called Aura, which can reduce boulders to dust," Lucas' pokedex explained. "Car," Lucario replied with a slight grin, pleased with his description. Soon Professor Oak had finished his speech and the gang returned to their homes to begin their journeys and say goodbye to their parents. "Ash, Lucas, remember to always take care of yourselves. Don't forget to eat your meals, sleep, wash daily and stay hydrated. And please be careful in battle and don't take any unnecessary risks. I know you want to be the world's best trainers, but that doesn't mean you should get hurt. Promise me you'll be cautious and make smart decisions," Delia told her sons, continuing before they could reassure her, "Sweeties, keep your Pokemon in good health. Make sure to tend to their injuries and look after yourselves. And promise you'll call me and let me know how you're doing? I worry about you Lucas and Ash!" "Okay mom," Ash and Lucas said, finally managing to stop their mother's nagging, though they knew it all came from a place of worry. "Lucario, Pikachu, promise you'll take care of them too," Delia asked the pair's pokemon. "Lucario," Lucario nodded in reply. "Pika, Pikachu," Pikachu assured Delia with a nod. At that moment, a car arrived filled with cheerleader girls. "This is my crew guys. See ya later," Gary said with a wave as he hopped in the car. "Bye Gary," Everyone waved as the car drove off.

"Alright, time to go," Lucas told Ria and his brother as he pulled on his back pack. ""Yes!" Ash and Ria exclaimed, both excited to begin the journey as the trio left Pallet Town. Lucas had originally intended to go on his journey alone, planning to take a boat to Kalos and head for the Tower of Mastery, but his mother had asked him to bring Ash along as both were aiming for the Indigo League. Lucas had no choice but to bring Ash along and Lucas wouldn't deny Ria. Having a free healer was useful. They took Route One which led to Viridian City. Thankfully since Ash and Pikachu were already getting along there was no major incident with the Spearow. When night arrived they stopped to make food and rest in their tents. Food was prepared by Lucas, Ria and Ash's joint efforts. Lucas and Ria had to prepare the pokemon food themselves however as Ash didn't know how to make pokemon food. "Pikachu! Eevee!" Pikachu and Eevee exclaimed happily as they ate the food put before them, Lucario eating quietly beside them. In the morning the gang prepared to continue to the city after breakfast only to notice a rainbow forming in the sky, showcasing the beauty of nature. A pokemon was also flying in front of the rainbow, as if it had created the rainbow itself. "How could I forget? The first legendary pokemon Ash ever saw. And a legendary that symbolises luck," Lucas thought to himself, pointing his pokedex at the pokemon flying in the sky. "Ho-oh, the Rainbow Pokemon. A fire and flying type. Ho-oh is an avian pokemon resembling a phoenix and a peacock. Ho-Oh's feathers glow in seven colours depending on the angle at which they are struck by light. These feathers are said to bring happiness to the bearers. This Pokémon is said to live at the foot of a rainbow," The pokedex explained. "A legendary pokemon, wow," Ria and Ash murmured in amazement as Lucario jumped forward, glaring up at Ho-oh with a competitive gleam, barking. Ho-oh stopped in mid-flight, gazing down at Lucario with an expression of surprise, amusement and perhaps a hint of interest.