Chapter 10: The First Gym Battle

The next morning the gang got up, freshening up in the Centre's facilities before Ash and Lucas used the phone to call their mother. "Hi mom," Ash and Lucas greeted with a smile, pleased to see her. "Hello dears, you arrived in Pewter fast. I expected it would take you at least fifteen days," Delia admitted, surprised to see them there. "Well, we had a good incentive to move quickly," Lucas said, glaring at Ash, who started sweating nervously. "Why, what happened? Ashy?" Delia asked her youngest son, who grew even more nervous under her expectant gaze. "I... kinda... forgot to spray repels on our tents last night in Viridian Forest and we were attacked by a swarm of Beedrill," Ash admitted quickly, causing Delia to glare at him, worried. "What? Are you both alright?!" Delia asked, concerned, sighing in relief when she got nods from them both, "I'm so sorry Ria dear, I didn't know they'd be this much trouble." "What? How was this my fault?" Lucas asked, insulted. "Sorry, Lucas dear," Delia apologised, knowing he was right, "I hope you've learned your lesson though Ashy?" "Yes mom," Ash agreed sheepishly, "Sorry for worrying you." "It's fine dear. It's a mother's job to worry about her sons," Delia replied before noticing Misty, "And who is she?" After explaining to Delia about the incident with the bike, which got Ash another scolding from his mother, they managed to introduce their new pokemon, Delia pleased to see their catches. "I have to run now. Good luck with the Gym Battles," Delia told the pair, turning off the video phone as they ended the call. The group then decided it would be best to also call Professor Oak.

"Is he the renowned Professor Samuel Oak?" Misty asked as the video screen turned on, shocked to be meeting the legendary professor. "Yes, I am Professor Samuel Oak," Oak replied, smiling at the girl, "And you are?" "She's Misty Professor. We're travelling together," Lucas explained. "Ah, excellent. How are you kids?" Oak asked, curious. "Great! The journey's been pretty exciting so far," Ash replied excitedly, pulling out his pokedex to show the Professor a recording of Lucario and Lucas' battle with Ho-oh, who clapped excitedly at seeing the match, clearly impressed. Ash then explained about the incident with the Beedrill the night before, earning another, firmer, scolding from the now very unimpressed Professor. "Incredible! I didn't expect you would have already battled a legendary pokemon and been chased by a horde of Beedrill," Oak admitted, surprised, "Did you not face the trainer in Viridian Forest?" "What trainer?" Ash asked, the whole group surprised as they had not seen any trainers during the trip. "This trainer's name is Samurai. He challenged all the trainers from Pallet and defeated most of them. Because of that most of them have returned home to train more before going back to their journeys," Oak explained. "Professor, did Gary lose?" Ash asked, wanting the moral boost of knowing his rival had lost. "No, Gary didn't lose. In fact he's already caught eleven Pokemon and won 2 Gym Badges," Oak replied, his voice filled with pride with his grandson's achievements. Professor Oak then asked to see their new pokemon, excited when he was introduced to the rare Golisopod, excited to study the bug-water type when Lucas returned to his lab. "Take care kids," Professor Oak said, finishing the call. The gang then left the Pokemon Centre, Lucas, Ria and Misty wanting to find a place to eat, only for Ash to drag them away to find the Gym. He refused to stay behind Gary for long.

The Pewter City Gym, much like the Viridian Gym, is a five storey building. However, it was formed from roughly cut grey rock, making the Gym's type speciality clear. The gang quickly arrived and showed their challenger letter, a gift from Officer Jenny for their help with the idiotic trio of Team Rocket. Many trainers were waiting in a line to challenge Brock, the Leader of the Pewter Gym, but thanks to the challenger letter the group were allowed straight into the main room of the gym. "I'm going to challenge him first," Ash told Lucas, unwilling to wait a moment longer. "Alright," Lucas replied, knowing waiting was the smart thing to do as he would be able to see Brock's pokemon. The large central chamber had bleachers with a few rows of seats surrounding the main field, which was covered in rocks of different sizes to act as obstacles. There were also two areas for people to stand - one for the challenger, the other for the Gym Leader. The Gym Leader quickly walked out to accept the challenge, moving into the area for him to stand. "I am Brock, the Gym Leader of the Pewter City Gym. Here, we specialise in rock type Pokemon. If you win challenger, you will receive the Boulder Badge. What is your name?" Brock asked, his eyes seemingly closed. "Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town," Ash replied confidently. "Is this your first gym battle?" Brock asked. Gym Leaders used different pokemon depending on who was challenging them. Their job after all was to help teach new trainers, not simply smash them into the ground with their strongest team. Trainer's skill was determined by the Leaders by the number of Badges they have. "Yes, this will be my first Gym Battle," Ash replied. "Then allow me to explain the rules. We both will be allowed to use two pokemon in this battle. Only you, the challenger, will be allowed to substitute your pokemon," Brock explained. "Prepare for battle. Now, begin!" The referee ordered as he stepped into position. "I choose you, Pikachu!" Ash declared, knowing he had no Pokemon with an advantage over rock types. "Come forth Geodude!" Brock ordered. "Pikachu, use Thunderbolt!" Ash ordered, starting the battle. "Geodude, let it hit you," Brock replied, unimpressed. "Pikaa!" Pikachu yelled, the golden beam of light striking Geodude. Geodude simply sat there, not taking any damage.