Chapter 12: Ash Vs Lucas: An Important Lesson Taught

"Pallet Town here we come!" Ash cheered as he, Brock and Misty were nearing the end of Route 1 which led to his home. In the months since Lucas had left Ash had rechallenged Brock and defeated him, earning the man's respect, who had decided to travel with Ash after his father returned to take over the Gym. Ash had also won his other 7 Kanto Gym Badges, and was now returning home to see his mother before he began preparing for the Indigo League. Ria apparently was already there, having chosen a month prior to return and study under Professor Oak and other Pokemon experts to become a Pokemon Doctor. "Excited to get home?" Brock asked, amused by his excitement. "Of course! I haven't seen mom in person for months, and Lucas might be home too! I'm looking forward to seeing them both," Ash replied happily, racing off down the route, "No time to waste! I gotta get home now!" "What a kid..." Misty sighed, shaking her head in mock annoyance, a slight smile on her face as Brock nodded in agreement. "Yeah, but he's not a bad guy," Brock replied, "Just needs to get a bit more mature." Misty nodded in agreement as they arrived in Pallet Town to find Ash and his mother excitedly greeting each other.

After being introduced to Ash's mother, who greeted them with happy smiles and kind words before giving them a delicious meal, the trio headed over to Professor Oak's lab, where Delia said that Lucas was currently speaking to the Professor, having returned 3 days before the group. However, when the trio arrived they were surprised to find Gary shaking his head in annoyance while Lucas did the same, Professor Oak dashing around the lab like a mad man while exclaiming about how exciting something was and his joy that he got to study it. "Huh, Gramps is getting over excited again," Gary sighed in annoyance, not noticing the trio, "Why do you always have to bring something to peak his curiosity, Lucas?" "What, you think we wanted him to start acting like this?" Lucas replied, insulted as Lucario grumbled in agreement, "We didn't go through the effort of getting a Key Stone and the Lucarionite just so the Professor could study them." "What's a Key Stone?" Ash asked, confused, drawing the pair's attention. "Ash! Good to see you," Lucas greeted with a smile, Lucario giving a bark of agreement as they turned to him, "As for your question, a Key Stone is used as part of the Mega Evolution process, an evolution that transcends all other evolution." "Mega Evolution?" Ash repeated, surprised, "Awesome! You and Lucario can do it?" "Yeah, we went to Kalos where it was first discovered to find the Key Stone and Lucario's Mega Stone, then spent a few months training to master it," Lucas explained as Lucario nodded in agreement, "Though we can't do it right now, because someone took my Key Stone!" "But it's so exciting!" Oak exclaimed from the next room over, "I've only ever been able to read thesis on Mega Evolution, never study it up close! I can't let this chance slip away!"

"Then why don't we have a battle, bro? If Lucario Mega Evolves Professor Oak will be able to see it first hand," Ash offered, "And you can see how strong we've become." "An excellent idea!" Oak yelled, coming back into the room and passing Lucas his Key Stone carrying glove, "Watching a Mega Evolved pokemon in battle would be an incredible experience." "Alright then. Ready Lucario?" Lucas asked, getting a bark of conformation as the group went outside, Lucas and Ash standing opposite each other to begin the battle. "Charizard, I choose you!" Ash decided, tossing out Charizard, who roared furiously upon coming out of his pokeball. "Lucario, you're up," Lucas said, "Now, time to Mega Evolve!" The Key Stone and Mega Stone bracelet Lucario was wearing glowed, beams of rainbow light joining the stones together as Lucario transformed with a howl, everyone watching along with Ash gasping in shock. "Remarkable," Oak murmured, awed as Lucario's aura washed over the group.

"Mega Lucario," Ash muttered, shocked, "Alright Charizard, use Slash!" Charizard glared back at Ash briefly, before turning back around, claws glowing white as it flew forward quickly with a roar "Block it with your aura," Lucas said calmly, Lucario swiping a paw through the air to form the aura wave, knocking Charizard back. "Charizard, please get up. Use Flamethrower!" Ash yelled. "Char!" Charizard roared angrily as it got up, unleashing the flamethrower at Ash before flying at Lucario furiously. "What?" Oak questioned, shocked, Gary also looking worried while Brock and Misty just groaned, having expected this. "So, the real battle begins," Lucas murmured, having expected this after what he had seen at the beginning, Lucario nodding in agreement, "Stop it now." Lucario blocked the Slash with his left arm while Charizard reared back its foot. "Dodge it with your aura," Lucas said, Lucario easily jumping out of the way of the attack, landing behind Charizard. "Charizard, listen to me! Flamethrower!" Ash pleaded. "Aura Sphere," Lucas said coldly, Charizard slowly turning to face Lucario, only to be sent flying with a roar of pain as the sphere struck, knocking Charizard out, "Our battle's over."