CHAPTER 1

I remember that night, I just might remember that night for the rest of my days..

The last time it was peaceful. Before they came.

I yawn, the day's endeavors finally taking their toll as I enter camp. Breezepaw hops off to the medicine den, the daylight that once lit it up fading. My mouth is full of disgusting  tasting herbs, but I'd do anything for her. Even help gather this crap. She sits, her pure white pelt shining in the sundown, and gestures to the herb store with one forepaw. The other paw is crippled, deformed & bright pink. She carries it at her chest. I settle beside her, spitting out the borage. 

" That is disgusting " I say, gagging for added emphasis. Breezepaw giggles, closing her light pink eyes. It's always so easy to be around her. Then, of course, her mentor, Oakleaf, walks in. He's aging, and not very well. He'll retired when Breezepaw gets her full-name. I bet it's soon.

I excuse myself, waving goodbye to Breezepaw. She responds, turning away from the herb stores; " Night Rainpaw!"

I walk into the dark clearing; most cats have gone to bed already. I slowly make my way up to the apprentice's den, settling in my nest. My dreams are a flurry of activity, scenes I can't comprehend.....

A voice wakes me in the morning.

I startle awake, seeing Cardinalpaw already up, their red fur bristling. Boltpaw is groggily looking up, clearly confused. I glance around for the mysterious voice; no new scent mixing in with the familiar ones of my fellow apprentices. The voice speaks again. 

" Oh!! I'm so sorry, I truly didn't mean to startle you!! " 

It comes from the sky. My fur bristles & I follow Cardinalpaw outside, Boltpaw trailing behind. Everycat is in the clearing, and I quickly pad to Breezepaw's side. " hey." She looks up and grins; " morning!!" 

" what's this voice? Is a rogue being loud?" I ask. Breezepaw considers.

"I have no idea, actually." She responds.

Intriguing. Another cat speaks; it's my mentor Butterflyfur. " WHO ARE YOU??" the heather-colored she-cat yells. I wait for the sky-voice's answer. 

" Me?" It asks. " oh, well, I'm The Narrator! ...... Let's play a game.." Theres a giggle. We consider what the cat means by this. Had to be harmless right? 

How could we be so wrong?

~

The Narrator brings an element of fun adventure to our lives; their tone upbeat & motivating. Each day, we get a new task. They're all short, reminders to take a breath or play with kits. The Narrator teased, saying if we refused we'd be a failure. What a silly idea. Nocat disobeyed, they were all simple. No need to risk the "punishment." If only we'd known.

One day we get a strange task, " Eat a snail." Cats scoffed, a few refused to do it. Afterall, failing wasn't something to fear, right? I, on the other paw, always the rule follower, did the task with Breezepaw. It was .. oddly tasty. Everycat eventually relented, except two; Flowerheart & Goosestripe.

We all waited, anxious to see what happened to the disobeyers. The Narrator looked strangely happy. We'd learn why soon. 

" Well, it appears we have two failures!! Flowerheart & Goosestripe!! " The shadowy cat giggles. I grow unsettled. What was she getting into? Breezepaw shot me a glance; clearly sharing my same suspicions. That was the last we heard of The Narrator for the day, our nerves growing every second.

I settle to sleep, but I can't. Why had The Narrator finally named failures? Why had they looked so pleased?  Perhaps... No, The Narrator was here to add joy! To remind us of fun times! Yes. Right. But- I can't stop running in the circle of doubts. It's growing darker, I decide to visit Breezepaw. She'd help clear my mind.

I carefully slip around Cardinalpaw & Boltpaw, their bodies sleeping peacefully. I trod through the moonlight, finding my way to the medicine den. I find Breezepaw asleep, positively glowing in the moonlight. I lightly poke her. She groans and mumbles some curse words, sitting up & blinking. " what is it rainy " She yawns after the question. " i keep having doubts... like why did The Narrator name failures today? Why not any other day? Why did they grin so wide??" 

We get our answer.

Light flashes in my eyes, I feel like I'm on fire. It feels like I'm being torn to shreds, like I'm freezing & burning at the same time.

Then it stops.

I slowly open my eyes; glancing quickly around to my surroundings and spotting the white pelt of Breezepaw. I quickly trot over there, realizing that the whole clan is .... On the shed roof? Everyone except ...... I scan the crowd again. Everyone but Goosestripe & Flowerheart. The- the failures. Dread fills me. What have we let into our clan...?  

The Narrator's voice rings out. " WELCOME FOLKS, TO OUR FIRST FIGHT. Only one failure can survive, how will this play out?" Their tone is excited. Amused. I look out onto the roof, the two toms staring at eachother. No- what? They expect them to kill eachother...  No. they wouldn't. It's the Warrior code. But- anxiety fills me as I study the cats. Goosestripe turns to face the shadowy monster called The Narrator. I turn my eyes to them; their grinning widely in anticipation. " Why aren't you fighting?" They ask. 

" I won't murder Flowerheart. Nor will they me." Goosestripe spits.

" oh. are you sureee?" They ask. Like it's really a choice.

" yEs!!" Goosestripe yells, narrowing his yellow eyes. 

" tsk tsk. If no failure will fight to survive, both must fall." I shiver at The Narrator's words.

The toms implode.

Guts splatter with a sick, wet noise. No. I'm coated in blood. No. My lungs feel like their constricting, I back up, my eyes wide. Breezepaw is covered in the tom's blood. No. No. No. My paw slips off the edge. I'm falling. Falling, falling. Something grabs me. I snap back to reality. 

" RAINPAW!!" Breezepaw screams, trying to pull me up. Tears cloud her beautiful, beautiful light pink eyes. I feel so, so bad. Her paw, the white fur covered in red, slick blood. I'm loosing my grip. I'm slipping. I almost laugh- Then, Acorntail darts to Breezepaw's side. He reaches for me right as I slip.

I

 f

     a

         l

             l

               .....