CHAPTER 8

... i'm sorry.

~

We were in screaming color

And I remember thinking,

" Are we out of the woods yet..."

Hushed conversation wove through the crowds. A few cats sighed in relief. Oakleaf and I sat next to a numb Breezepaw, whose tears fell freely and silently. Somehow, it reminded me of a rushing river, frozen oh-so-cold. I can almost feel the waves lap at me, although I'm on dry land. I shake it off, ] focusing on comforting Breezepaw.

On the other side of camp, Crowwing sat, as numb as his adopted daughter. There was something different about the black tom, however. There was a rage that filled the air around him, turning it sour and hard to breathe. Still, Kiterun tried to comfort him, although she was numb too. Oakleaf murmured something I can't quite catch.

I think he knows how this fight will go down. I mean, we all do, in the very dark pits of our minds. In our guts, in thrown-away memories and old words of wisdom.

We all know Breezepaw won't survive.

And yet, we pretend she will. Like the fight won't end in one – or both – of them dead. It's still sunhigh, and the warriors back from hunting drop a rabbit infront of us. They know too, even if they aren't conscious of it.

We all know.

Breezepaw leans down and begins tearing into the rabbit's flesh, inviting us to join her. I do so, relishing the last time I'd eat with her.

~

We end up in my nest, waiting for the fateful teleportation that would mark the end of her. The other apprentices are still out in the clearing, choosing to let us have these last moments alone. I stared up at the sky that barely appeared, blocked by the bramble and heather adorning the den's entrance. The moon moves closer to its highest spot in the sky, and I take a deep breath in the final seconds.

" I love you, Breezepaw."

I don't hear her reply.

The sickly familiar fire of teleportation burns through me, and I sit down on the shed roof, watching Breezepaw stare at her father.

~

Breezepaw gulped, her pink eyes flickering between Crowwing and Rainpaw. She started backing up. She knew she wouldn't win, and she couldn't put both her father & her love in that position of seeing her slowly dying, torn and bloody.

She backed up.

Closer and closer.

Breezepaw could feel the roof's sharp edge with her back paw. For the last time, she took in her surroundings. The quiet flutter of leaves as the wind rushes past them, the shimmering moonlight falling on her. Crowwing's eyes, full of guilt and madness.

Rainpaw's eyes, full of sad knowing. Full of love for a cat that's about to die.

" I'm sorry."

And then she fell.

She fell like Rainpaw, oh so long ago.

But this time, she has no-one to catch her.

.....

She felt the crash, the sickening crunch of bones. The darkness overtake her vision.

She hopes Rain knew.

and then it's over.

~

....

....

....

And then she wakes up.