Chapter 10

"What the hell was that?" Cowl asked the second you had closed her office door.

"You don't understand! He was insinuating–"

"I don't care what he was insinuating, Agent. You were two seconds away from making a fool out of yourself in front of multiple people!" Cowl sighed. "Do you want off of this mission?"

"No! I am honored to be on this case!"

"Then stop trying to ruin it."

"He was completely out of line! He said–"

Cowl held up a hand, signaling you to stop. "I can only imagine what Baker had to say, but it doesn't matter. You can't let mindless insults or gossip make you lose your head. I am risking a lot making sure you stay on this mission."

You felt awful. Agent Cowl was the reason you had been put on the mission with Leon. You were sure the fact Leon hadn't complained or reported you helped your case, but you had no idea what was happening behind the scenes. But there was no way you could stand to have Lucas say and insinuate what he did. What if he spread it? You could lose your job. You tried to calm your racing thoughts by telling yourself that it would be Leon's word against Baker's. The comfort that brought you was shallow.

"I'm sorry, Cowl."

"Don't be sorry. Be better," Cowl answered with a stern look, almost like how a mother looks at her rebellious child.

"Yes, ma'am."

"You're dismissed. Take the day off. Go home; relax. I expect you back here tomorrow ready for whatever Agent Kennedy needs from you."

You left headquarters without saying goodbye to Leon, not that he would have expected you to. You headed back to your loft apartment; it was still in the city, but towards the outskirts. It was a two bed, one and a half bath apartment customized just to your liking. You loved it, but the space felt cold and lonely most times. You picked up takeout on your way back and ate it on your couch while watching reruns of your favorite show. It was only midday, but you were passed out on your couch after only a few episodes.

You were awoken to your phone ringing. Answering it without looking, you greeted the mystery caller:

"Hello?"

"You didn't tell me you went home for the day."

Leon. You took a look around your apartment...it was dark outside.

"I didn't think it was much consolation to you whether I said goodbye," You replied, voice a bit gravely with sleep.

"What happened today?" Leon sounded tense.

"Nothing. Cowl just sent me home early to rest before tomorrow," You answered.

Silence on the end of the line. You were getting nervous. Why was Leon even calling you?

"Can I come over?"

What. The. Hell.

"What?!"

"You heard me."

"Why would you want to come over?"

An annoyed sigh sounded on the other end of the call. "Because you're lying to me, and I intend to find out why Cowl sent you home."

You sputtered. Leon could not come over; there was takeout spread across your coffee table, you hadn't even taken off your work clothes.

"No Leon, you're not coming over."

"I'm already on the way."

"How do you know where I live!"

"Come on, sweetheart... I'm Leon fucking Kennedy."