Chapter 11:

Slight trigger warning: almost/slight sa

You had awoken the next morning still next to Leon, his hand wrapped possessively around your middle. You tried your best to wiggle out of his hold without waking the agent. Once you had finally escaped his grasp, you hurried into the bathroom to shower and get ready for work. By the time you had finished readying yourself, you headed back out to your living space. Kennedy was nowhere to be found. He must have slipped out soon after you awoke to get ready at his home. Part of you hurt to think he slipped out without a goodbye, but you quickly brushed it off as you made your coffee.

At the office, you had a meeting scheduled with Cowl. It was short and to the point. She told you that two days from now, you and Leon would meet for the next part of the mission. Turns out, the lab the two of you had searched wasn't the only one this corporation operated under. This other lab was farther from HQ, roughly three hours, meaning it would be an overnight mission. Your agency had already arranged a hotel with security to house the two of you to stay in before the mission. You were nervous to be with Leon for so long; the two of you couldn't stand to be around eachother for more than a handful of minutes without either yelling at eachother or fucking.

You listened to Cowl intently, you had the feeling she was still pissed about yesterday. Deciding you valued your life, you didn't bring it up to her.

Later in the day, you found yourself in the breakroom; you had ordered food to the agency and were ready to dig in. A few other agents were also in there, but they either had headphones in, or were conversing with each other. You didn't mind; you liked not having to pain yourself with small talk. You were just about to take a bite of your burger when you felt an unwelcome presence sit next to you. You spun around in your chair to meet eyes with Lucas. Fuck.

"What do you want."

Raising his hands in feign defeat, Lucas quickly responded, "Easy, I came to apologize."

"What makes you think your apology means shit to me," You snapped back.

"Okay, I deserved that," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I wanted to make sure to clear the air; I was just joking around yesterday."

"What you said was not a joke."

"I understand how it could have come off bad."

You rolled your eyes, "Come off bad. Are you serious?"

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? You don't have to forgive me, but I want you to know I am."

"Okay," You responded, promptly turning back to your food.

He wasn't moving.

"Why are you still sitting here, Lucas?"

He shuffled uncomfortably. "I actually have something for you in my office; think of it as an apology gift."

"Do you really think I'm going to go to your office?"

"It's from your boss."

"Cowl?"

"Yeah; can you just come with me? I don't want it taking up more space."

Why would Cowl give him something to give you? Was this her way of trying to patch things up? Surely she had realized you hadn't reacted the way you did for nothing. You had tried to tell her. It was fine, you would just go in, grab whatever she wanted you to have, and leave.

"Fine."

You followed Lucas to his office. You felt uneasy just walking behind him. You would be having it out with Cowl after this. Lucas held his office door open for you, revealing a huge vase of flowers.