Chapter 8

"Ugh," I roll over in bed, trying to ignore my ringing phone.

When it stops I smile and snuggle up under the covers.

Until it starts again.

"Ugh!" I roll over and glare at it on my nightstand.

I grab it and glare at Dariyah's name.

"What?" I grumble.

"Uh, are you just waking up?" she asks.

I glance at the time, past noon!

"No! Yes! Curd!" I sit up.

"Yeah... Vega's almost here."

"Crap, crap, crap," I shoot out of bed.

She snorts in amusement.

"Hush it!" I hang up.

I see I have several missed calls from Vega. She told me she would call me when she got on the plane and when she got off. I was supposed to meet her airport! I even got approval from Asherah and everything!

I knew I should have gone to bed early. But that book seemed promising. Ugh!

I grab something to wear and quickly change. I rake the brush through my hair and wash my face, getting water everywhere. Then I quickly brush my teeth and tie my hair up, I don't have time to fix it.

A text from Dariyah,

'She just arrived on campus, she's at the main gate.'

I teleport over there and appear in front of Lysander who yelps in surprise. I push him out of the way and get to Vega. She eyes me in annoyance.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry!" I clap my hands together and beg for forgiveness.

She lets out a big and heavy sigh.

I grab her and her bag and teleport them to her room.

"Sorry, I'm so sorry!" I plead.

"You promised," She says in annoyance.

"I know! I'm so freaking sorry. I lost track of time last night and stayed up reading, then totally slept through my alarm. I'm so sorry."

"She just woke up..." Dariyah pauses to look at an invisible watch. "About 10 minutes ago."

I glare at her.

"Well, can't change anything now. Want to go get lunch?" Vega asks.

"Yes, please. I'm sorry," I pout.

"You're lucky you're cute," she pinches my cheek before leaning in and kissing me.

I quickly kiss her back, melting into her.

I hear Dariyah shift behind me and quickly pull back, Dariyah is looking away, pain on her face. Note to self, don't show lovey-dovey affection in front of Dariyah.

"Come on," she grabs my hand and interlocks our fingers.

"I'm sorry, I feel awful now. I'm so sorry," I pout as we walk out of the room.

"It's okay," she says with a bite to her voice, so I know it's not okay.

"Vega I promise I didn't do it on purpose. I'm so sorry."

"I know."

I sigh.

We walk to the dining hall and grab a bite to eat. Sitting at our usual table.

"Are you mad at me?" I ask.

"No."

"It's okay if you are."