Chapter Nine

Thursday rolled around , I was training with Al once more. Dodging and jabbing at him, I started to tire off, but brushed it off and kept going. "Aye, you okay?" Al said, throwing a punch my way. I quickly dodged it.

"Yes," I said. We kept on for a few more minutes. With his left arm outstretched, I staggered back. "Focus," he grunted. I went in for a punch and missed. I never missed, my footing shifted like I'm intoxicated. He stopped and asked me if I was okay. I nodded.

"Yes, just hot is all," I said, signaling him to get back in stance. He shook his head. "No, we can break. We've been at it for 48 minutes straight," he said. I growled at him. "No, get your ass over here," I said, making him side-eye me. On my wobbly stance, I thrust my body forwards to attack, only to find my knees colliding with the floor. "Shit," I heard, and Al knelt down next to me. "I'm okay," I grunted. I looked up at Al to see him sniffing the air, his eyes bulging and turning a darker shade. "You're in heat," he gritted out. Shit.

When we go into heat, our own scent becomes potent, blending with the scent of sex, which attracts unmated wolves. While most wolves can resist, especially if the female is claimed, the mate cannot. The scent becomes even stronger, sweeter, making it intoxicating and driving them crazy.

"Come on," he said, linking his arms around my waist and one around my shoulder. "Alex, it's so hot," I said weakly. "I know." I was appreciative of Alex. When wolves get in heat, it's an extremely sensitive and overwhelming pain. Any unmated male wolf can smell the arousal and want to relieve the female of her heat. Most wolves resist themselves, especially if the female is mated. We entered the pack house, and I grunted in pain. Alex picked me up once more. "We're almost there, Jazzy," he whispered. Great, there would be more than a normal amount of wolves here today.

"Morning Lun-," "Ohh," one of the male wolves cut off, no doubt smelling me. Alex sent a low threatening growl his way, picking up the pace. We made it to the hall when my legs gave out, the pain ripping through my abdomen, causing me to fall into a fetal position. "It's okay; we're almost there, just a few more steps," he whispered, pulling my hair from my sweaty face. I nodded but didn't move; I couldn't. He picked me up bridal style and carried me, passing up my bedroom. "Al, you-" He cut me off. "You need to be in your mate's room; it'll ease the pain," he said. He burst through his room, my mate's scent immediately tickling my senses. Al plopped me on the bed and ran to the restroom; I heard the shower on.

"Okay, just try to sit under the cold water for now; he'll be soon," he reassured me. I nodded slowly, getting up but standing still, afraid to move. It feels like pin needles are being jabbed all around my body. "Here," he walked up to me, helping me to the bathroom. We got a few steps in when I started undressing myself, causing Al to quickly turn around. I didn't care if he saw my nude body; I just wanted to feel some form of release. I stepped into the shower, being hit with the cold water. Any other time, this would have shocked me, but given my heated state, it felt warm to me. I noticed a mini mirror facing me; I looked in it—my face flushed, and despite the water, I could still see my sweaty skin. I also saw Alex standing in the door, his back facing me, no doubt guarding me.

"Do you need anything?" he shouted, never moving an inch. "No," I replied back. I heard the door open and close. "Okay, I'm here; you need to leave like now," I heard Anna's voice in a rush. Alex didn't bother replying; he ran out of the room, closing the door behind. "Okay, sweetie, I'm here; do you need anything?" she said. I shook my head, knowing she couldn't see me. "No," I whispered.
3 minutes in ..
"Where is he?" I growled. "He's on his way, babe. It'll take a bit of time for him to get here," she said. I knew that he and Brad had gone to patrol the abandoned part of the border. Of all the places, he had to be on the other side of me right now on his own land of 156 acres. I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard the door burst open and his mate's scent filled the room, giving me goosebumps.