Wait for it

Considering my mum hasn't spoken to me in 5 months I knew I wouldn't have to worry about her, but Abbie and Thommo that might be a different story.

I was sat in my room, unpacking my things, when I heard Abbie call my name, from the kitchen.
Abbie: "Summer!"
"Coming!" I called.
I walked in to find Ari, Honey, Wren and Abbie.
I rolled my eyes at the sight of Wren, doesn't she have her own house?
Abbie: "Come, sit."
I went and sat on the on the bench, at the table, next to her.
Abbie: "What happened last night?"
I didn't speak for a moment.
"Team bonding?" I shrugged and smiled at her.
But she didn't smile back.
Abbie: "By team bonding, do you mean a party, because from what I know you hosted backyard gymnastics and maimed your captain."
"She'll live!"
Wren rolled her eyes.
Abbie: "Oh, and thanks to your exploding barbecue trick, you have been blacklisted by the booking site."
"Please don't send me back to England." I sighed.
Honey: "Mum, Summer is my mentor! You can't send her home, you just can't!"
Abbie: "Well, lucky for you girls, this is Summer's home."
I exhaled in relief.
"Thank you, Abbie."
Abbie: "But just because I'm letting you stay it doesn't mean I'm not mad."
I nodded slightly.
Suddenly, a car horn sounded from outside.
Wren: "Oh. Um, that's Elo. We should really go."
Ari: "Yeah." Ari nodded.
Suddenly Abbie stood up and went straight into my bedroom.
Abbie: "Come with me for a moment, Summer."
I shot Honey a worried look as I trailed behind the woman.

Abbie: "Who was the one to push the button, was it you or Baxter?" She asked as I closed the door behind me.
"That doesn't matter!"
Abbie: "So it was Baxter?"
"No!"
Abbie: "Summer if we tell them you weren't the one to turn the barbecue on, they might let you stay in one of the other houses for rent."
"No, Abbie!"
Abbie: "This wasn't just your fault, Summer! It was his too! Why should he just get to walk away? He has a history of this that boy does, with the boardriders!"
"Abbie!"
Abbie: "No, Summer!"
"Just stop! It wasn't his fault! He was just trying to cook a burger, I'm the one that kicked the gas tank!"
Abbie: "Why are you protecting him!?"
I stumbled over my words.
"I- I'm not!"
Abbie: "Mhm."
"I'm just saying it not his fault!"
Abbie: "Well whose fault was it then?"
"The house owners! I mean, who puts a thatch roof over a grill!? And we should sue them for the faulty gas tank. I'm lucky I still have my hair!"
Abbie: "Summer, enough. I may not be your mum but I'm the one she trusted to look after you."
Suddenly the door burst open.
Ari: "Excuse me, mum?"
Margot: "What?"
Ari: "I.. look, I just wanted to say that I did see Summer cleaning up throughout the whole party and keeping kids out of the house, and the whole team-bonding thing actually went really well up until the explosion."
Abbie: "Oh."
"Thanks." I nodded to Ari. "And Ari doesn't even like me." I said turning back to Abbie.
Abbie: "Where's Wren?" She asked Ari.
Ari: "She's okay, she's at the beach."
Abbie: "Really?"
"Look, Abbie. You already know there's a major competition going on today. The coach wants us all there-"
Abbie: "Do you even know the rules, Summer?"
"Yeah, of course. I'm a surfer now, remember?"
Ari: "I can give her a refresher as well, just to make sure. If you want, mum."
Abbie: "Yeah?"
Ari: "Yeah, no, I'll go over some heat strategies and stuff."
"Abbie, if I don't win my heat today, you can ground me." I shrugged. "I'll drop out of nationals, if you want, Cassidy can surf for me!"
Abbie: "Summer I don't want you to drop out. I just want you to be responsible for once!"
"Well this is me taking responsibility for my actions. If I lose my heat, I lose my chance at nationals." I nodded.

Me and Ari were stood on the beach, staring out at the water. We both had our wetsuits sat around our waists and our boards at our sides. There was a man surfing in front of us.
Ari: "Check out old mate. At this break, the third wave of the set's usually the biggest. But if it's too big, it closes out. Right? So the wave after is the go."
"Yeah, you just gotta wait for the right wave, that's how I see it."
Ari: "Exactly."
"Most people are sooo boring, they just take the first good-looking wave that comes along." I said, the first good-looking wave, Wren.
Ari: "Well.. sometimes you can wait too long for the perfect wave and it never comes." He replied, perfect wave, your soulmate? I knew I believed in them, but did Ari?