Chapter 17

An Embrace

A sudden shake. A clickety noise. Then you're awake!

"So for how long is this going to last?"

That voice is the first thing you hear when you gain your consciousness back and lose the fogginess of sleep. And you know that voice. That deep, annoyed tone. That grumpy attitude.

Levi...

You're sleeping, or you were sleeping. Wrapped in your thick coat. The one you got delivered just before leaving the barracks with your things packed for you and tucked in your commander's carriage. A shade of cool grey, with soft fur lining. Well past sunset was the time you left. No dinner, not one goodbye to anyone. Erwin kept you by his side the whole time the preparations for leaving were being made. So again, you saw no one and talked to no one. Other than him, and Hange, as they instructed you on what to do and say once you're there, no one even knows you are going away.

You were in a sitting position. That's the last thing you remember when the carriage started moving through the dark, snowy roads. You were sitting down next to your commander. He was already discussing things with Levi, who's sitting in front of you two. You were nervous, and you were anxious. Having no idea how to act and behave with them. Should you listen and keep track on the conversation? Or should you ignore, and act like you're not even sat there with them. But their talk was too boring anyway to keep up with, so you decided to ignore.

You still have no idea why you were chosen, by him, to go with them and for what, exactly. It's not like you actually worked for Erwin, as his subordinate or whatever, to know how these things work or to have a role to fill. It's like you were chosen, and you were just there... for him. To keep him company through this whole journey. That's what you concluded.

But now, since you're no longer sleeping, you realize a lot of things as you keep your eyes closed and body still. One of them is, you are not sitting anymore. You're laying down. Your feet still touched the floor of the carriage, but your upper body is actually leaned sideways. And is resting onto something solid. With a warm touch resting on the side of your head. Confusion and realization mix and hit you at the same time and...

I'm sleeping in Erwin's lap... in front of Levi!!

Your body reacts to this realization internally and your cheeks burn instantly.

"What is?" That's his voice. Erwin's. Opposite to Levi's, his voice sounds so relaxed and soft. As if he doesn't want to disturb your sleep, not when you're laying this close to him. Tucked and snuggled into his lap like a little kitten. His elbow draped over your shoulder. You could feel it. And his hand is placed just over your hair.

Just how did I end up sleeping like this?

"This thing you have going on..." Levi answers back almost immediately, cutting your thoughts, not the least bit bothered if he's going to wake you up. "Your new pet."

Ouch!

A short breath, amused. Erwin's chest moves above you. You feel his fingers slightly pressing into your hair, threading between your strands and it sends a shiver along your skin. You barely stopped your shoulders from reacting. "You don't approve?"

I don't want to hear this...

They're talking about you, obviously. And it's a conversation you're not sure if you want to hear. Not when you just woke up and when you just heard what Levi referred to you.