Chapter 19

(Memories of old: six years ago)

Shen Nuo often took out the jade tassel off his waist belt to look at it. No matter how many times he looked, he would never get tired of it. It was purely carven off a piece of white jade. It had a majestic figure of a soaring dragon carved in it.

The end of it was tied with a long and a soft silken white fluffy tail feather hanging down it. It looked very beautiful. In the left corner above on the piece of Jade, there was a  beautifully carved character which looked like Character 'Li'. And it was very beautiful and attractive.

After so long, unknowingly, Shen Nuo had developed a great bond towards that white jade tassel of his. It was there with him as long as he remembered his past.

He always hung it by the side of his waist belt and never left or forgot it. Once he had asked his mother about this jade tassel. But his mother had said that she did not know. There were so many accessories brought to be used by the kids of the General's Manor. May be the jade tassel was also one of them...

Once he happened to visit Wu Xiang Monastery with his third uncle alone. On his way through the lively streets, an old man had clasped his hand with him. Little Shen Nuo had stepped back in horror.

The man was holding onto a tall staff. His attire was strange. But it was said that the premises of Wu Xiang Monastery was always crowded with such queer folk. So his uncle didn't take it to the heart.

Taking chance when the uncle paused by a stall to buy some candied haws for Nuo Nuo, the old man had squatted down forth the little child and had said something strange.

"Little kid, I can see that your body is hiding a great spirit inside. One day, you'll cause empires to fight against each other...there would be a great bloodshed."

Shen Nuo's eyes widened. He looked even horrified. "I will be a good general like my father one day." He said pouting his mouth. "But it doesn't mean I will kill innocent people!"

"Little kid, do you identify this jade tassel?" The old man had asked, leaning half his body onto the tall staff.

Shen Nuo lowered his eyes to look at the side of his waist and shook his fluffy head. "No. This was with me as long as I remember. Grandfather, do you know who gave this to me?" He smiled and asked this in a teasing tone. Even if he the owner did not know, how on earth was a stranger supposed to know?

But startling little Shen Nuo, old man laughed wearily. "Yes, I know!" He said in a misterious whisper, closing the distance between the two of them.

"He is the person who will be your husband one day. He has a great bond towards you. It's very strong. It looks as if you both had been entangled with each other for many previous lifetimes...and in this lifetime, it's still no exception. He'll come in search of you by himself one-day..."

Shen Nuo felt lame. "Grandfather, you're joking!" He immediately ran to his uncle.

But the old man saw him run away and laughed gently before he left on his own. "Birth of the Star of Chaos. My old Master was not wrong when he died. The calamity has already begun.." He left laughing while staggering wearily.

Later from a tavern keeper, little Shen Nuo happened to hear that the old man he just met was an adept in fortune telling...

This matter left him even baffled. Who gave this jade tassel to him? Who was that person? And what did he mean by bloodshed? How did he tell he would cause a great calamity oneday?

Shen Nuo shook his head furiously and put the thought aside. He never took it seriously again. Three months later, he entered into the Imperial Academy for further education.