Chapter 57

Its double updates today. Chapter 56 and 57. I leave this in case if you didn't get the notification for the previous one.

______________________________________________

"Between you and my brother, is it love or obsession?" Shendu asked indifferently. "Love is fine. But if it's obsession, I don't want him to get hurt."

Li Yan looked at him emotionlessly and pushed the sword away again. "Both. I love him, but I'm also obsessed with him."

Shendu nodded slowly. His eyes narrowed. "Your Majesty, the first time you saw him and held him in your hands, I was there on the tree, reading a scroll. The day you kissed him when he was five, I was watching from behind a tree. You often disguised yourself and trespassed into our quarters under the lame excuse of teaching him. I saw everything." Shendu's eyes even darkened. "Even the incident from yesterday night." He added in an icy voice.

Li Yan did not look shaken in the least. He calmly accepted it. "So you knew it all along, didn't you? Shendu?" He spoke in a distant voice. "You can call me a pervert if you want to."

"If I thought you were a pervert, you won't be living until today, Your Majesty." Shendu replied, without moving away his eyes from the emperor. "There were a hundred beautiful women inside the Capital who are definitely qualified into the harem. But you only had your eyes on my little brother. You clearly knew he was small. But still you shamelessly groomed him and didn't try to hide your feelings."

After a long silence, Li Yan spoke in a low voice. "I knew I was wrong. Shen Nuo was small. But I couldn't help it."

"I know." Shendu said nodding grimly. "What I wanted to ask you is, Your Majesty, was that really because you're obsessed with him or because you already knew that you don't have much time to live?"

Li Yan went pale. He felt lame. For a moment, he did not know what to say. Then a faint smile spread across his lips. "You saw my golden pupils, didn't you?"

Shendu looked away with his hands behind his back. "Your Majesty, when I was small, my grandmother used to tell me a story. Li Imperial Linage succeeded in winning people's hearts and succeeded the throne after sealing a golden eyed fire phoenix who cursed Li Yang. The core of the phoenix was devoured by the first Emperor of Li, Emperor Li Yuanming. So the clan was also called as Phoenix Clan. Rarely, a person would be born to the Li bloodline with strange powers. Legends have it that ones who are gifted would naturally inherit the power of the phoenix within their blood. They are said to be unique, born with the golden flame mark on the forehead, divine eyes and power to match an immortal. Phoenix Sages, we call them. And they are not allowed to the throne since as a tradition, they will have to sacrifice themselves for  the betterment of their state one-day. After all, I just though it was only a legend. But I never expected it to be true. And most of all, I never expected you to be one."

Li Yan lowered his eyes. "Li Imperial Family has reigned Li Yang for more than two thousand years. So what you said wasn't a legend after all. It was of true existence. But, I wasn't originally the Phoenix Sage. That's a long story." He smiled to Shendu faintly. "I used to be an ordinary life like you, like a thousand others when I first saw this world. It was my father who was born as the Phoenix Sage. He was also someone like me, the only son of the family. So he was forced to hide his true identity and accept the throne. But he was a coward. He was afraid of death. He did not want to die. So using some secretive forbidden art, he passed the Phoenix Curse to me, and mercilessly pushed me, his own son to death. So the day that I was born itself, became the day I became a vessel to hold my father's curse in his place. Somehow after my sister was born, my mother found out what father did to me. She couldn't bear the shock at all. Thus, the only person that truly loved and cared for me, died. At least, your father must have loved you. But my father didn't. And still I blindly loved him, hoping that one-day he would turn to look at me and say that he loves me. Just a slightest act of warmth or care would have been enough and I would have been contented. But he didn't. It was only my wishful thinking. So I could only envy a thousand other children of my age who grew amid a pool of love. And that's how I became the cold hearted, frosty faced, lonely Phoenix Sage. I became the next Phoenix Sage after the last one, Prince Li Yuansheng who sacrificed himself seven hundred years ago. But I had to become your emperor too since I'm the only child of the main branch. It couldn't be helped."