The Meeting

The Triskelion, S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters,

          Achilles was furious with Nick Fury. He believed that he should have been aware of Briseis separate mission, seeing as they were a team.

          Instead, he had no clue, and it ended up screwing the entire operation. So he enters Fury's office, speaking as he does. "You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" 

          "I didn't lie," Fury responds. "Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours."

          "Which you didn't feel obliged to share." Achilles argued.

          "I'm not obliged to do anything." The one-eyed man states simply.

           "Those hostages could have died, Nick." Achilles said, exasperated.

           "I sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen." Fury said, annoyed.

           Achilles put his hands on Fury's desk. "Soldiers trust each other. That's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns."

           Fury stands up. "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye.

           There's a pause, were neither of them speak. 

           "Look," Fury states. "I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything.

           Achilles is still ticked off. "I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own."

           "It's called compartmentalization." Nick states plainly. "Nobody spills the secrets, because nobody knows them all."

           "Except you." Achilles accuses.

           Fury pauses for a moment. "You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that."

          Achilles and Fury exit his office, and go into an elevator.

          "Insight Bay," Fury tells the elevator.

           "Captain Pelides does not have clearance for Project Insight." The supercomputer responds.

           "Director override." Fury says in his gruff voice. "Fury, Nicholas J."

           The computer responds, "Confirmed."

           Their is a break in conversation, and both men are standing in silence when Achilles breaks it.

           "You know, they used to play music." He says awkwardly.

           "Yeah." Fury pauses. "My grandfather operated one of these things for 40 years. Grandad worked in a nice building. Got good tips. He'd walk home every night, a roll of ones stuffed in his lunch bag. He'd say 'Hi'. People would say 'Hi' back. Time went on, the neighborhood got rougher. He'd say 'Hi'. They'd say, 'Keep on steppin'. Grandad got to gripping that lunch bag a little tighter."

           Achilles pauses a second, to take the new flow of information in. Then he asks a question, "Did he ever get mugged?"

          Fury chuckles quietly. "Every week some punk would say, 'What's in the bag?'"

          "What would he do?" 

          "He'd show them." Fury states, and the elevator starts to get darker, signaling they were going underground.

           "Bunch of crumpled ones," Fury continues, "And a loaded .22 magnum." 

           The elevator starts to get lighter, and the clear walls reveal Project Insight. 

           Achilles walks to the edge of the elevator, staring intensely at the airships.

           "Yeah, Grandad loved people," Fury continued as if he never had stopped. "But he didn't trust them very much."

           Fury notices Achilles' stare. "Yeah, I know," he laughs. "They're a little bigger than a .22."

________________________________________________

Sorry about the short chapter. I knew I needed to post again, but I just started reading KotLC and I'm finally out of my irl book slump. I'll try and squeeze in another chapter soon, but I've been really busy lately.

Word Count: 505

                                      -Fandom_Changer23