The Smithsonian

The Smithsonian, Washington DC,

             Achilles casually walks into the museum, confident in his disguise. Most people don't look twice at you when you look like every other New Yorker, baseball cap and sunglasses adorned.

            Strutting through the different exhibits, eventually he reaches the Captain America exhibit. His exhibit.

            Tuning out the overhead voice, he sadly walks through the area. Every section calling him a hero, icon, or courageous. But he wasn't.

             At least, not since he let Pat die.

             Just then, he reaches the section entailing the story of the Howling Commandos. He finally starts to listen to the announcer. 

            "Battle-tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission: taking down TROY, the Nazi rogue science division."

            Achilles then chokes. He's reached Patroclus's section.

           "Best friends since childhood, Patroclus Menoetiades and Achilles Pelides were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Menoetiades is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

           As the museum screen flashes with different videos, Achilles connects a memory to each one. That was General Phillips' birthday. That one was right after Dugan realized we were dating. 

          An interview with the two of them flashes across the screen. Both of the boys were laughing, heck, practically giggling, over what the reporter said. He wondered if the serum created the fire burning deep inside of Achilles.

         He hadn't laughed like that since Pat died.

         Achilles had to turn away, unable to handle anymore heartbreak.

~ • ~

        On a screen, Deidamia talks distantly. "That was a difficult winter. A blizzard had trapped half of our battalion behind German lines. Achilles, Captain Pelides, he fought his way through a TROY blockade that had pinned our allies down for months. He saved over 1,000 men."

        That was when Achilles had to stop listening. He couldn't see why people called him a hero, when he failed to save the person who mattered most.

_________________________________

Sorry for the short chapter. I should be able to get another one or two in today because I'm home alone. Again, so sorry I couldn't post. I was in a play, and right now I'm in the middle of standardized testing. Thank you for reading, and goodbye munchkiddes!

Word Count: 320

                                                        -Fandom_Changer23