The VA

Due to this book being mostly in 1st person omnipotent, I won't write Pierce and Nick's scene. If you haven't seen the movie, basically Nick wants Project Insight delayed, against the World Security Councils wishes.

Diomedes Workplace, the VA,

            Achilles walks into the VA. Finding Sam's support group meeting was easy, there were posters on the walls pointing his in the right direction. 

           Upon finding the room, Achilles hears a voice.

           "The thing is, I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week. He thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED."

          Wilson speaks. "Some stuff you leave there. Other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it going to be in a big suitcase, or in a little man-purse? It's up to you.

~ • ~

         Walking out of the meeting, Achilles hears Dioceses slowly saying goodbye to all of the members. Then, he walks up to him.

        "Look who it is, the running man.'

        "Caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense. "

        "Yeah, brother, we all got the same problems."

        "Guilt." Wilson says.

        Yep

         "Regret."

         100%

          Achilles comes to a realization. "You lose someone?" He asks.

         Diomedes swallows. "My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op. Nothing we hadn't done 1,000 times before. Until a RPG knocked Riley's dumb @ss out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

        "I'm sorry."

        "After that, I had a really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

       "But you're happy now, back in the world?"

       "The number of people giving me orders is about down to zero. So, h3ll yeah. Are you thinking about getting out?"

       "No." Achilles says. But then he considers it. "I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did."

       "Ultimate fighting?" Diomedes quips, earning a chuckle out of Achilles.

       "Just a great idea off the top of my head. Seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?"

       "Pat made me happy."

       "I don't know." This is what Achilles actually says.

        If only he could tell Diomedes the truth. Anyone the truth. Unfortunately, he couldn't. Because he was a coward and a murderer. If he hadn't failed to catch Patroclus, he wouldn't have been alone on the plane. Or, alone in a new century.

__________________________________

Word Count: 471

Once again, so sorry for the short chapter. My baby ducks arrived today and I has to take care of them. (Btw, I already named one Lady Quackington.) I wish I could have posted this chapter yesterday, but unfortunately my family came home earlier than expected. Hoping for a longer chapter next time,

                        -Leader of the Ducks, Fandom_Changer23