The Bay

Insight Bay, The Triskelion,

             Achilles stares, in shock, at the aircrafts and boats that fill every bit of the bay.

            "This is Project Insight." Fury states. "Three next generation helicarriers synced to a network of targeting satellites."

            "Launched from the Lemurian Star." Achilles pieces together.

           "Once we get them in the air, they never have to come down." Fury begins. "Continuous sub orbital flight, courtesy of our new repulsor engines."

           "Stark?"

           "He had a few suggestions once he got an up-close look at our old turbines. These new long-range precision guns can eliminate 1,000 hostiles a minute."

           They were stood at a balcony overlooking the biggest aircraft Achilles had ever seen, easily 10,000 times the size of him. And Achilles wasn't exactly small.

          Fury continues. "The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We're going to neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."

         "Thought the punishment usually came after the crime."

         "We can't afford to wait that long."

         "Who's 'we'?" Achilles interrogates.

          Fury responds stiffly. "After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once, we're way ahead of the curve."

          "By holding a gun to everyone on Earth and calling it protection." Achilles responds unhappily.

          Fury turns toward him. "You know, I read those SSR files. 'Greatest Generation'?' You guys did some nasty stuff.

         Achilles keeps his face blank. " Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well at night." He pauses, anger rising in his voice. "But we did it so that people could be free."

        Achilles gestures towards the helicarrier. "This isn't freedom. This is fear."

        "S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. And it's getting d@mn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap."

        "Don't hold your breath."

         As Achilles drives off the premise on his motorcycle, he is about to break down. At first when entering Insight Bay, Achilles was in awe of the technology, and was feeling completely fine.

         But then he wasn't. It stated when he realized how much Patroclus would have loved this. Achilles was never the sciency one of the two, he was the artist. The science geek, was Pat. 

         Realizing this sent pangs of regret and longing through Achilles's heart.

        It only got worse the longer he was there. The more stuff he saw, the more he missed his former lover, and best friend.

       Then Fury brought up his SSR files, and he had to withhold just how much stuff he regrets, and the sleep he's lost from it. Most of it centered around a certain curly-haired brunette that fell off a train.

        Finally, Fury calls him Cap. Not once, in his entire time returned from the ice, has anyone called him by his name. It's always, "Cap", " Captain America", or just, "Pelides." Sometimes, Achilles just wants to jump up and shout at them, "That's not my name!"

        But, he's Captain America. So he tries his hardest to push back the Achilles Pelides parts of him, because people have made it clear that this part of him is not the past that they want.

        But, a little part of his mind whispers to him, "Pat would've said my name."

       To which he painfully has to respond back to, (mentally of course), that, "If I would have been fast enough to save him, he could've. But I wasn't. And he can't."

       So, instead of dealing with his pain, he drives to the Smithsonian.

_______________________________________

Word Count: 595

Sorry for the short chapter and long wait. I haven't felt motivated to do anything lately, so I did instead of homework. I don't think that it will be quite as long for the next chapter, but no promises. If I take longer than 2 weeks, start screaming at me in the comments. That goes for every time I need to update. To anyone reading, love you people, and go drink some water!! I know you need it. I do to.

                                    -Fandom_Changer23