Prologue | The Rift

Third Person

Eimi woke up, stretching as the sun peeked into her room past the other buildings. It had been seven years since she joined Fairy Tail. Those seven years were the best she'd ever had, and thanks to her new friends...her family, she has mostly healed from her past.

Eimi climbs out of bed, dragging herself, and her feet, towards the bathroom. Before hopping into the shower, she grabs an outfit. After her shower she changes for the day, her damp hair laying flat on her shoulders. She hums as she prepares breakfast, her song interrupted by the rustling of her exceed and partner.

"Good morning.." Catherine mumbled, rubbing her eyes as her hat precariously hangs off her head, only staying thanks to her ears. Catherine's voice was still laced in grogginess, making it a bit quieter than normal. Luckily Eimi has such excellent and heightened hearing.

"Good Morning Cath!" Eimi Chriped, clearly more aware than her feline friend. Catherine Sighed, slumping into her seat as Eimi placed down a plate of food for both of them.

"Today's breakfast is fried eggs in a slice of toast with butter. A side of shredded salmon grilled and drizzled with a pesto sauce. We also have some mixed seasonal fruit! The fruit for the week is Strawberries, Melon, and of course Grapes!" Eimi finished with a gentle clap of her hands. Sitting down and pouring a cup of water for both her and Catherine.  Cath grins, "You always make the best foods Ei!"

Eimi can't help but to blush at the Cat's comment. The two clapped their hands together, "Itadakimasu!" The two called, digging into their food as soon as the word ended.

~Short Time Skip~

After Breakfast, Catherine got dressed and helped Eimi cleaned up. They then grabbed their bags, heading out for the guild hall.

They lived quite close, so the walk there was quick. Entering into the guild, they were met with shouts and excitement, the bustle of people running around for jobs. People running to nab the toughest jobs. It was obvious how close the S-Class wizard tournament was. Eimi sighed looking at the board, it was practically empty. The best one they had was an exploration gig.

The details said 'Please help us! Explore this cave and find what has been bringing misfortune to our village!' It was probably just some bandits causing problems and playing tricks. The reward read '500,000 jewel' as soon as Eimi read that reward she grabbed the flyer, running to Mirajane at the bar.

"Mira! We'd like this job!" Eimi shouted, throwing the paper down onto the counter. Mira smiled softly, reading the flyer closely. "Just you two?" She asks, her soft and gentle voice being oh so familiar and lovely as always. "Yep! It'll be an easy job! So we won't need any help! Right Cath?" Eimi says confidently, Cath jumping up in excitement. "Yep! This'll be a piece of cake!"

Mira stamps the paper, handing a copy of the location back to the pair. Cath takes it and places it in Eimi's pocket. "Thanks a bunch Mira! Hey, good luck with the S-Class trials! I probably won't be back in time, I want to do a bit of sight seeing since I'll be down there." Eimi states, waving to Mira as she walks away. Eimi quickly says bye to the other people attending the Trial and sets off on her job.

~Time skip to when they arrive to the job location~

"Thank you so much for coming!" The old woman bowed, clearly at her wits end. She was the Mayor's wife, and current acting Mayor as her husband was sick.

"We believe all of this negative energy...this...this CURSE to be coming from here" the old woman says, gesturing to a cave on the side of a large hill. The cave had wards and danger signs all around it, it was clear the people had become cautious of this place. But from what they could tell it looked normal.

Eimi sniffed the air outside of the cave, it oddly smelt...foul. Definitely something about the place was dangerous, but what? "Ok Cath...I'll handle holding the lamp, you flay us through it, we can't risk stepping somewhere dangerous." Eimi says, grabbing a lamp from her bag of supplies. Cathy sprouts her wings, a teal magic circle appearing on her back with the wings.

"Alright! Let's do this fast so we can eat some food!" Catherine exclaimed, grabbing the back of Eimi's shirt, lifting her into the air and pulling her into the cave. Once the two had entered they moved around slowly and quietly as to not disturb whatever, or whoever resided in the cave.

"Hey Ei?" Cath whispered...her paws shivering. "Isn't it oddly quiet? Not even the sound of an air draft from the entrance..." Eimi's mind lingered on those thoughts. The cave definitely had a lot of moisture...but there wasn't a single sound of water. Not even a small droplet.

Eimi and Cath soon came to a small shrine in the cave, it looked like the entrance they took was the only one...so it's also the only exit...

"Take us down Cath" Eimi said, shining her light on the ground for Cath to see. Cath and Eimi landed softly, careful to not make much sound. Cath sat on top of Eimi's shoulder as she walked around. Eimi circled the shrine, eyeing it's details.

Eimi stops in front of it, watching it closely. Her hands slowly raising towards the small handles of its small doors. "Um...Eimi? What are you doing?" Catherine asks, her voice trembling from fear. She was easily spooked by ghost stories. Eimi didn't answer, her hands grasping the handles, gently tugging at the doors as the rusty hinges loosen. Eimi then rips open the small doors, revealing a small doll inside, the doll looked...normal? Beside it was a small wooden plaque.

Eimi lifted the plaque, reading it aloud for both her and Catherine. "Welcome Adventure?"

Eimi and Catherine shared a look of confusion, before their surroundings suddenly became brighter. The cave was glowing? No...it wasn't the whole cave...just the floor below them!!

Eimi and Catherine felt frozen, unable to move at all. They wanted to move out of the way of whatever was about to happen...but they couldn't. The ground seemed to open up, but before Eimi had completely fallen in, something shot at her...a magic bullet. "Shit!" She thought, seething from the sudden pain "I knew it was Bandits!"

Eimi didn't have time to think, she Grabbed Catherine, holding her close as they began to free fall. Catherine had fainted from the shock, and Eimi was struggling to stay awake. Eimi's eyes sealed shut as she and Catherine fell to the ground with a crash...everything went black...and silent...